There's a Path for Everyone.
Walmart is the best place to build a career from the ground up – period. We believe no other company can match our combination of making an impact at scale and our culture of promoting from within, from entry-level roles all the way to C-suite executives.
There are 2.3 million proud Walmart associates across the globe, from truck unloaders working their first jobs to some of the most influential executives in the industry – and everything in between. In fact, our CEO – Doug McMillon – has been in both roles, and his story isn’t uncommon among Walmart’s top leaders.
Simply put, Walmart offers unmatched opportunity. Our unique combination of pathways, perks and pay mean you can build just about any career you want here, no matter where you start or what you aspire to do.
- There’s a path for everyone at Walmart. We have a culture of promoting from within, from entry-level roles to C-suite executives.
- Entry-level associates receive their first promotion in seven months, on average.
- Approximately 75% of our U.S. store, club and field management started their careers as hourly associates.
- Even our CEO, Doug McMillon, started as an hourly associate in a distribution center in Arkansas. He’s not alone – many company leaders began their careers working in stores, clubs or distribution centers.
- Our people represent the communities we serve and we are deeply committed to advancing equity and inclusion to ensure there’s a path of opportunity for everyone to be successful. Our annual Culture, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (CDEI) report shows our progress on this front while outlining the steps we continue to take to create a Walmart for everyone.
- Compensation is about more than a paycheck at Walmart. No matter what the role is or where they are in their careers, associates have access to great benefits that bring our ‘save money, live better’ promise to life.
- Physical well-being benefits.
- Medical coverage starts at just $31.40 and includes virtual healthcare programs.
- Associates who are facing something big like surgery, cancer, or fertility care want the very best treatment. Walmart’s Centers of Excellence program gives access to some of the best specialists and facilities in the country, and many conditions are covered at no cost to the associate with most Walmart medical plans.
- Associates can take advantage of a variety of insurance plans such as company-paid life, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, short- and long-term disability and business travel accident.
- Emotional well-being benefits.
- No-cost, confidential counseling sessions with licensed professionals are available to all associates and their household family members.
- Associates have access to paid time off, including paid sick leave, as well as up to 16 weeks of paid maternity and six weeks of parental leave.
- Walmart U.S. associates know their work schedule two weeks in advance so they can prioritize their well-being and plan for life outside of work.
- Financial well-being benefits.
- Qualifying Walmart associates can take advantage of our 401(k) match and our associate stock purchase plan match.
- Walmart pays for 100% of college tuition and books for nearly 1.3 million field-based associates through Live Better U.
- Walmart U.S. field associates have access to free Walmart+ memberships, while Sam’s Club associates enjoy a complimentary Sam’s Club Plus membership.
- Walmart U.S. associates have access to a 10% associate discount on fresh produce and select general merchandise. Associates also get great discounts on services like gym memberships and cell phone plans.
- Walmart has repeatedly invested in higher wages for our associates and will continue to do so. Bottom line: We’re going to keep raising pay.
- As a company, our goal is to offer competitive pay by role and by market, with the kind of opportunity and room for career growth that isn’t found anywhere else.
- The average U.S. hourly field associate now makes more than $17.50/hour.
- Walmart's starting hourly wage rates vary by region and role and have the following ranges:
- For store formats (e.g. Supercenter, Neighborhood Market grocery format): $14 to $32 per hour
- For Sam's Club: $15 to $32 per hour
- For distribution center and fulfillment centers: $16 to $34 per hour
- For corporate associates, Walmart offers competitive compensation packages with base pay, annual performance-based bonuses and equity grants that vest four times per year.
Come as you are. Learn what you need. Walmart Academy teaches associates around the skills they need to succeed while they’re at work. From leadership to technical skills, you can build the skillset you want.
Read more about our Walmart Academy.
Veterans and their spouses can build their careers with Walmart or as entrepreneurs with support from Find-a-Future. We have also expanded our investment and participation in several U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hiring our Heroes programs to include virtual hiring summits and pre-separation fellowships to connect Walmart US, Sam’s Club, Supply Chain, and Global Tech with thousands of veterans and spouse hires.
Read more about our Veteran program.
Walmart’s undergraduate interns get a close-up look at life running the world’s largest retailer. From the Home Office and our corporate campuses to distribution centers across the U.S., interns work in a wide variety of fields like global tech, finance, and merchandising and come away with knowledge they can only get at Walmart. For many interns, a career at Walmart is right around the corner.
Read more about our Intern program.
Live Better U
Earn a college degree or professional certificate in areas like business administration or cybersecurity – Walmart will cover 100% of your tuition and books.
Learn more about Live Better U.
Walmart Opportunity Fact SheetWe’re continuing to make significant investments in our people to ensure Walmart is the best place to work and grow a career.
Live Better U Fact SheetLive Better U gives associates access to education and training programs to help them excel in their jobs and create the career path they want.
Walmart Academy Fact SheetWalmart Academy offers training for on-the-job retail skills, leadership development and well-being.