June 17, 2019
By Terrance Oliver, GMM of Electronics, Walmart eCommerce U.S.
Today nearly 77%1 of U.S. consumers own a smartphone. So, it’s no surprise that when purchasing a new device, customers are looking for convenient options that allow them to research and choose the phone that best fits their needs, all at the best prices. With that in mind, we’re announcing new wireless experiences online and in stores.
Upgrading to a New Apple or Samsung Device Just Got Way Easier
If you’ve searched the web recently to try upgrading your phone online, you’ve probably discovered it’s pretty hard. I’m excited to announce that, for the first time, customers can fully complete a postpaid cell phone upgrade on Walmart.com and have it delivered to their doorstep for free, beginning with qualifying AT&T customers. With 100 million unique monthly visitors shopping Walmart.com, we’re excited about the untapped opportunity to serve postpaid wireless customers online.
To save customers time, we’ve created a simple online experience aligned with that of a specialty store, which we anticipate will save customers up to an hour of time when upgrading their phone. Here’s how it works:
- Select a carrier. Each carrier, starting with AT&T, will have its own shopping experience within Walmart.com. We plan to expand to other carriers in the coming months.
- Select a device. At launch, AT&T customers upgrading their postpaid cell phones can select from top Apple and Samsung devices.
- Select a payment plan. This includes choosing a line, installment plan, and accepting payment terms.
- Receive the device. Once the order is completed, the device is shipped directly to the customer’s address for free, in two days.
- Activate device. The customer follows step-by-step activation instructions and enjoys their newly upgraded phone.
To save customers money, those shopping postpaid cell phones on Walmart.com will find the same everyday low prices offered in-stores, including up to $200 off Samsung and Apple devices, which means lower monthly payments of up to 30%.
Bringing Wireless Experts to Even More Stores
We’re also excited to announce the expansion of our dedicated wireless experts to an additional 600 stores by the holidays, just in time for busy gift seekers. With this expansion, more than 3,000 Walmart stores will have dedicated experts in wireless to help customers upgrade their phones and activate new lines with major U.S. carriers. This is coupled with a broader commitment to significantly improve the electronics department across stores nationwide, including live product demos and more accessories.
To celebrate, Walmart stores are currently offering the iPhone X at $300 off when purchased on installment, making the 64GB only $499 (offer only available in stores).
Walmart has long been a destination for wireless phones. With our enhanced cell phone shopping experience on Walmart.com and improved in-store experience, we’re using every opportunity to make it easier for busy families to stay connected.
1Source: Pew Research Center, June 12, 2019