Fourth quarter highlights
- Diluted EPS from continuing operations was $1.43, which includes the impact of discrete items detailed in this press release. Adjusted EPS was $1.49.
- On a reported basis, total revenue was $129.7 billion. On a constant currency basis, total revenue was $134.4 billion, an increase of 2.2%.
- Comp sales at Walmart U.S. were positive for the sixth consecutive quarter, up 0.6%, driven by the fifth consecutive quarter of positive traffic. Neighborhood Market comps increased approximately 7%. Customer experience scores continued to strengthen.
- Walmart International net sales were $32.7 billion on a reported basis. On a constant currency basis, net sales were $37.4 billion, an increase of 3.3%, led by strength at Walmex and in Canada.
- Globally, on a constant currency basis, e-commerce sales and GMV increased approximately 8%. Growth was pressured primarily by challenges in key international markets.
Fiscal 2016 highlights
- Diluted EPS from continuing operations was $4.57, which includes certain discrete items that impacted the fourth quarter, in addition to other items detailed in this press release. Adjusted EPS was $4.59.
- On a reported basis, total revenue was $482.1 billion. On a constant currency basis, total revenue was $499.4 billion, an increase of 2.8%.
- Globally, e-commerce sales on a constant currency basis increased approximately 12% to $13.7 billion, and GMV on a constant currency basis increased approximately 13%.
- Investments in people and technology continued, as expected. Operating income decreased 11.2%, which includes a 290 basis point impact from certain discrete items detailed in this press release.
- Walmart generated $27.4 billion in operating cash flow and returned $10.4 billion to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better - anytime and anywhere - in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, nearly 260 million customers and members visit our 11,535 stores under 72 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2016 revenue of $482.1 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
Investor Relations contact
Pauline Mohler (479) 277-0218
Media Relations contact
Randy Hargrove (800) 331-0085
Along with this press release, Walmart makes available a recorded call with executive leaders to review the business results, to provide strategic updates and to comment on expectations for the future. We provide that call in both audio form and in a written transcript. Details on accessing the call are as follows:
877-523-5612 (U.S. and Canada)
201-689-8483 (other countries)
Passcode: 9256278 (Walmart)
MP3 @ stock.walmart.com
The call is archived at stock.walmart.com