Store brings more than 80 new jobs and new store format to the state
ATLANTA, June 13, 2012 – Walmart’s newest Walmart Neighborhood Market will open June 20 in Lawrenceville, providing residents a convenient location to pick up all their grocery needs, including fresh produce. Located at 3059 Lawrenceville Highway, the store occupies a former Publix location in the Bethesda Walk shopping center. The new store is the first Walmart Neighborhood Market to open in Georgia.
“It’s my pleasure to welcome Walmart Neighborhood Market to the Lawrenceville area,” said Gwinnett County Commissioner Charlotte Nash. “As both a redevelopment project and business that brings 80 job opportunities to the community, this is another big win for Gwinnett County.”
New Store Features
The first Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in 1998 in Bentonville, Ark. The store format is designed to provide quick and convenient shopping for groceries, pharmacy items and general merchandise. The Lawrenceville store is one of eight Walmart Neighborhood Markets opening in June nationwide, bringing the total number of this type of Walmart store to nearly 200.
The 44,000-square-foot Lawrenceville store is located in the Bethesda Walk shopping center, with convenient access along the Gwinnett County Transit bus route. It features a self-serve deli, a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as meats, cheeses and prepared foods. In addition to the fresh produce and bakery items, the store will carry a full line of groceries, including frozen foods, meat and dairy products, and organic items.
Shoppers will also appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include stationery, paper goods, pet products, hardware items and a Celebration Station, where customers can buy gift wrap and gift bags, greeting cards and party supplies. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the stores, which will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The store will offer Site-to-Store services, a regular feature at other Walmart stores, but not typical for a Walmart Neighborhood Market. Site-to-Store is a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup.
All Walmart stores and Neighborhood Markets participate in the Pay with Cash program. This allows customers to order online at www.walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Community Groups Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of the grand-opening celebration, $10,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local community groups. Additional funds will be available throughout the year for local organizations that serve the community. Interested groups can visit walmartstores.com/communitygiving for more information.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7 a.m., June 20
The store will host a grand-opening celebration at 7 a.m., Wednesday, June 20. Store associates and local dignitaries will participate in a brief ceremony, followed by a ribbon-cutting where doors to the new store will be opened to the public at 7:45 a.m. Marlon Green will perform the national anthem and John Whatley, pastor of the Bethesda United Methodist Church, will lead the invocation. Special events on grand-opening day, and continuing through the weekend, include character appearances, product giveaways and samplings, and other events.
Opening Creates Approximately 80 Jobs
Approximately 80 part- and full-time jobs were created by the store’s opening. Store manager Greg Toler is a native of Dublin, Ga. and has worked for Walmart since 2000.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Lawrenceville Neighborhood Market
- Location: 3059 Lawrenceville Highway, Lawrenceville, Ga.
- 44,000-square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store opens at 7:45 a.m., Wednesday, June 20, following a 7 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Greg Toler
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, self-serve deli, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, frozen foods and organic items
- Additional merchandise includes health and beauty aids, pet and cleaning products, hardware and stationery.
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center, Walmart Site-to-Store and Pay With Cash.
- $10,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations
- Store will employ approximately 80 associates.
- Nearly 75 percent of Walmart store management teams began their careers as hourly associates.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Georgia is approximately $12.56 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.