- How do I contact the Privacy Office?
- How will Walmart contact me regarding products and services, and how can I opt-out of receiving these communications?
- How long will it take for my communication preferences to be processed?
- Will Walmart share my information with third parties?
- What should I do if my information is incorrect on my Walmart.com account?
- What are web beacons?
- What are Bluetooth beacons?
- How does Walmart keep my data secure?
- What happens to my information when I uninstall the Walmart app?
In September 2019, we updated our policy to clarify the following:
- Clarifying our practices related to California Privacy Rights
- Clarifying how cookies and similar technologies are used on our websites and mobile services
- Clarifying our terms related to automated phone calls and text messages
- Clarifying our practices related to the collection of children’s information
These changes apply to all customers.
We updated our policy to be clearer and to describe new technologies and services that we use to deliver our customers the best shopping experience possible. Walmart is always working to provide customers with the products and services they need and want while giving them the very best shopping experience. Part of providing excellent customer service includes making sure that we maintain a relationship of trust with our customers. Our way of doing that is to let customers know just how we collect, use, share, and protect information.
How do I contact the Privacy Office?
Visit our Store & Corporate Feedback page and select “Company Feedback and Questions” from the menu to contact the Customer Service Team with questions about this Policy or write the Walmart Privacy Office with any questions or comments about this Policy or about how we handle your personal information.
The Privacy Office’s address is:
Privacy Office, MS #0160
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0160
For store experience, marketing preferences, and general feedback/questions, visit Store and Corporate Feedback.
How will Walmart contact me regarding products and services, and how can I opt-out of receiving these communications?
Walmart provides several ways for its customers to choose how they would like to receive communications about its products and services.
You can send us your communication preferences electronically or by mail in the following ways:
Log onto your walmart.com account and follow the instructions on the Communications & Privacy page.
Contact us by visiting our Store & Corporate Feedback page and selecting “Company Feedback and Questions” from the menu to contact the Customer Service Team with questions about this Policy or write the Walmart Privacy Office with any questions or comments about this Policy or about how we handle your personal information.
Walmart Home Office
Privacy Office, MS #0160
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0160
We will only use your information in the following ways for marketing communications:
- Text or Phone Messages: Walmart will not send you an automated text or call you unless you set your preference to “yes” or otherwise provide consent to receive our texts or calls.
- Email: Walmart will send you marketing emails until you set your preference to “no” in order to opt-out or click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of a promotional email.
- Mail: Walmart may send you marketing offers directly through the mail until you set your preference to “no.” For example, this preference does not include mailers addressed to “Resident” or local store ads that may come with your newspaper.
How long will it take for my communication preferences to be processed?
It depends on the type of communication.
- It may take up to ten business days to process email communication requests.
- It may take up to 30 days to process your request related to telephone calls, text messages, and sharing information with your consent.
- Please note that postal mailings are often prepared many weeks in advance, and you may continue to receive mail for six to ten weeks.
If you contact us by email or mail, please be sure to include your full name, the types of communications you would like to receive or not receive, and your related contact information.
Will Walmart share my information with third parties?
We do not sell or rent your personal information, except in the event all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized. We may share your personal information outside of our corporate family of companies (such as with Sam’s Club, Vudu, Moosejaw.com, or Hayneedle.com) in the following circumstances:
- We share personal information about you with service providers that help with our business activities, including our shipping vendors, billing and refund vendors, payment card processors, and companies that help us improve our products and services.
- We sometimes enable other businesses to make products or services available to our customers, such as an expanded assortment of items available through Walmart.com Marketplace retailers. We may share your information with these businesses to enable your purchase of their products or services to be completed.
- We may share your personal information with companies that offer co-branded products or services, such as our co-branded Walmart credit card. These companies are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than offering you these co-branded products and services.
- We may share your personal information when required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Walmart, our customers, our associates, or other persons.
- We may share your personal information in the event that all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized.
- We have specific privacy notices related to some of our specialized operations. We may disclose personal information for purposes identified in those notices, which arise in those specialized operational areas. These specific privacy notices describe additional or different information practices relevant to those operations. Our specific privacy notices can be found here. For example, as detailed in the Notice of Privacy Practices, our health services operations will disclose personal information to other health care providers for treatment purposes.
- We may also share your personal information with your affirmative consent. Affirmative consent means that we will get your consent before sharing your personal information.
What should I do if my information is incorrect on my Walmart.com account?
We take reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete. You can access or update your personal information, including contact or account information, in the following ways:
- Create an account on our websites and log into your account.
- If you need to access your personal information related to a Walmart service provider or business partner, you will be referred to the service provider or business partner. Please contact us via the “How do I contact the Privacy Office?” section above.
Cookies are small pieces of text sent as files to your computer by the website you are visiting. Walmart.com uses its own and third-party cookies to improve your shopping and browsing experience, and to allow the site to recognize you as you move from one page to another. Without cookies enabled, you will still be able to browse the site, but will not be able to take advantage of certain website features.
Walmart uses two main types of cookies - session cookies and persistent cookies:
- Session cookies exist for only as long as your browser remains open. For example, it allows us to remember the items added to your shopping cart as you browse different pages on Walmart’s websites. Please note that if you block cookies from walmart.com, you may not be able to make purchases on the website.
- Persistent cookies last from one visit to another. We use persistent cookies to provide you a more personalized shopping experience and to help you navigate our websites more efficiently. For example, persistent cookies are used to remember who you are and show you items you have previously browsed online or to show you which local store you have chosen as your “home” store. Read our About Our Ads page for more information.
What are web beacons?
Web beacons are small images, usually 1x1 pixels on a website that are used to determine whether a page was visited by the user.
Walmart.com uses web beacons in different ways, including to understand how our customers use our website and to personalize website content for our customers.
What are Bluetooth beacons?
Bluetooth beacons transmit a low-power signal that can be received within short distances by nearby Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices and recognized by apps a smartphone user has downloaded. Beacons only broadcast signals, and don’t collect any data. With the user’s permission, an app on a device can use the beacon’s signals to know when the mobile device is close to the beacon.
How does Walmart keep my data secure?
We use reasonable security measures, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to keep data secure. These measures may include security access controls or other physical security safeguards, information security technologies and policies, procedures to help ensure the appropriate disposal of information, and training.
Here are some examples of security measures we use to protect your personal information:
- Passwords are required to access your online account and help to protect your account information.
- Encryption technology such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption, helps to protect personal information in certain areas of our websites during transport across the Internet.
- For payment card information, we use secured networks, encryption or other protection of cardholder data, physical and technical access controls, monitoring and tests of security systems, and other information security practices.
What happens to my information when I uninstall the Walmart app?
You can easily stop the collection of information by our mobile applications by uninstalling the mobile applications. When you uninstall the Walmart app from your phone, you will remove your preferences stored on the app including your login information and your local store preferences.