Walmart seeks to maintain an industry-leading position on data privacy and security in keeping with our strategic goal of being the most trusted retailer. Our comprehensive Walmart and Sam’s Club privacy policies govern our treatment of customer data in both our offline and online U.S. Walmart and Sam’s Club retail environments. These layered policies provide clear and concise high-level and granular explanations of the types of customer personal information we collect, how we use and share that information, and the measures we take to protect the security of that information. Our policies:
Privacy Related Links
- Describe for our customers the choices that they may make regarding our use of their personal information and how they may access and update that information.
- Provide multiple points of contact through which our customers may initiate inquiries and raise concerns to us regarding our collection, use and sharing of their personal data.
- Provide that we will share customers’ personal information outside of our family of companies only with the customer’s affirmative consent, except in certain limited circumstances that we describe.
- State our goal to limit the personal information we collect to that needed to support our business.
- Are posted on our websites and available in our stores and clubs.
The commitments that we make in our privacy policies are backed up by a comprehensive privacy compliance program, led by our Vice President, Chief Privacy Officer. While our CPO sets the strategy for and leads the execution of our privacy program, our CPO reports through our compliance governance structure, which includes an enterprise committee specifically dedicated to data governance policy and compliance. Our CPO is supported by a global staff of trained privacy professionals. Many of our professional privacy staff have earned the Certified in Information Privacy designation conferred by the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Our professional privacy staff:
- Conducts programmatic privacy risk and maturity assessments, and leads the development of yearly associate privacy training.
- Works closely with our business teams to implement Privacy by Design principles in our development of new information-based products and services.
- Monitors and responds to customer inquiries and concerns directed through the points of contact set forth in our Walmart and Sam’s Club privacy policies.