Walmart is committed to complying with applicable labor and employment laws and regulations. With distinct sets of labor and employment laws in each country where we operate, Labor and Employment Compliance works throughout the business to maintain consistent, responsive, and tailored labor and employment practices. We implement strategies to promote a respectful and inclusive work environment that is compliant with relevant labor and employment laws. The focuses of the Labor and Employment Compliance team include:
- Wage & Hour Compliance - At Walmart, we are committed to paying associates correctly, for work performed, and to maintaining accurate payroll records.
- Equal Opportunity in the Workplace - We focus on fair, consistent, and inclusive treatment of associates, customers, vendors, and business partners. This includes equal access to employment opportunities, services and benefits, and the prevention of harassment and discrimination. We also are committed to providing appropriate accommodations for our associates and providing customers and members with access to Walmart’s goods and services.
- U.S. Worksite Immigration Compliance - Our team provides regulatory advice, monitoring, training, communications, and technical solutions to HR and Operations partners across our U.S. business. Walmart utilizes an online I-9 system that includes a dashboard containing a daily audit of I-9 exceptions and weekly HR reports. This system has the capability to connect to the government’s E-Verify program to confirm associates are work authorized. We provide training modules, facilitated and web-based training, and job aides to associates. Additionally, we offer live chats with HR representatives and an I-9 Helpline staffed by trained associates to help answer questions when they arise.
- Third-Party Employment Compliance - Our expectations around labor and employment compliance in the workplace extend to third-party service providers who we engage to do work in and around our facilities. Our contracts require our third-party service providers to comply with federal, state and local employment laws, including immigration laws. We train our facility managers on appropriate engagement with third-party contractors in the workplace, as well as with contingent or temporary workers. We also share significant regulatory changes with our service providers through targeted communications that help them improve their overall compliance profile.
- International Labor & Employment Compliance - The International Labor and Employment Compliance team supports HR functions in our international markets. Our mission is to treat our associates fairly and provide all benefits, pay and treatment they are entitled to by law. Using a risk-based approach, the team partners with HR to develop key standards and controls for compliance with local law and Walmart policy.