New store offers convenient in-store and digital shopping at Walmart prices; Opens Aug. 3
· New Walmart Neighborhood Market located at 316 S. Gloster St.
· Tupelo Walmart creates about 95 new jobs
· Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
· Grand opening event Wednesday, Aug. 3, 7:30 a.m.
· Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart4619
TUPELO, Miss,, July 25, 2016 – The new Walmart Neighborhood Market in Tupelo will open to the community Wednesday, Aug. 3, bringing a broad assortment of fresh, affordable groceries at Walmart’s everyday low prices. Customers will also enjoy the convenience of on-site services such as a full pharmacy, fuel station and a free store pickup service providing an easy way to shop millions of products on Walmart.com. The new store will employ up to 95 full- and part-time associates.
“We are excited to be the first Walmart Neighborhood Market in Tupelo,” said store manager Michael Marshall. “We think our residents are going to really enjoy this new convenient format.”
Fresh, Affordable Produce, Meat and Groceries
The store offers fresh produce and meat, pantry staples and a full line of groceries from leading brands.
In addition to organics and nutritious food choices, customers will also find a full-service deli and in-store bakery offering personalized cakes. The deli will also offer a gourmet pizza program in which customers can customize their pizza and either have it baked in the store or take it home to cook.
Full Service Pharmacy
The Neighborhood Market includes a pharmacy with a full range of products, immunizations and services and Walmart pharmacists ready to assist customers with product and prescription questions. Tupelo residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app. A drive thru pharmacy window makes prescription drop off and pick up quick and easy.
Millions of Items with Seamless Digital and In-Store Shopping
The store is approximately 46,000 square feet and offers a wide assortment of products to meet the needs of Tupelo residents. Customers will find health and beauty aids, pet products and cleaning supplies. Shopping is more convenient than ever as Tupelo residents can shop seven million items on Walmart.com, many of which can be shipped for free to any Walmart store through Walmart Pickup.
The Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android makes shopping easier than ever. Customers can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items in their store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com through the app.
Job Opportunities at Walmart
The store will employ up to 95 associates for full- and part-time positions within the store. Applicants interested in careers at Walmart can apply at a store’s hiring kiosk or online at Walmartcareers.com. Marshall began his Walmart career in 1998 as an assistant manager trainee at a fellow Tupelo store.
Starting in 2015, Walmart began making a $2.7 billion investment over a two year period in higher wages, more scheduling choices and further training for its associates. As part of increased wages across the company, the average full time hourly associate now makes $13.51 an hour in Mississippi. More than 75 percent of store management teams started as hourly associates. In 2014, 160,000 associates were promoted, and 40 percent of those promotions went to associates within the first year of their employment. The new investment is designed to help make Walmart not only a better place to shop but a better place to work.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of grants from Walmart to local community groups. The new store will also continue a commitment by Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to fight hunger in Tupelo and across the U.S. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation recently exceeded a $2 billion goal to fight hunger one year ahead of schedule and have donated more than 1.5 billion pounds of food to those in need across the country.
Two Celebration Events: Grand Opening and A Big Family Welcome
Local associates will provide a special welcome to members of Tupelo at two public events. Store associates will host a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony on grand opening day, Aug. 3, at 7:30 a.m. The following Saturday, Aug. 6, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Sunday, Aug. 7, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. local residents are invited to A Big Family Welcome celebration. This will give customers a chance to meet Marshall and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, nearly 260 million customers and members visit our 11,527 stores under 63 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2016 revenue of $482 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Tupelo Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Location: 316 S. Gloster St., Tupelo, Miss.
- Size: Approximately 46,000 square feet
- Store manager: Michael Marshall
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Aug. 3, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart4619
Greater Convenience and More Ways to Shop:
- Free store pickup program: Customers can shop millions of items on Walmart.com with free shipping to the local store. Many items are available for pickup the same day.
- Walmart Mobile App: Customer can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items within the store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com.
- Fuel station: Customers paying with Walmart gift card receive discount of 3 cents per gallon, etc.
- Financial services
- Bluebird: A product by American Express that provides an alternative to traditional checking and debit accounts
- Access to starter kits for Green Dot’s “GoBank” checking account services
- Money Transfers, Money Orders, and Express Bill Pay offered through MoneyGram
- Walmart Money Card offered through Green Dot
- Bill Payment offered through CheckFreePay
- Walmart2Walmart Money Transfers offered through RIA Gift Cards for use at any Walmart store or at Walmart.com.
- Media contact: Rachael Stanton, The Ehrhardt Group, 985-951-9558
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com
For more information