· New store located at 2900 SW 42nd St.
· Gainesville Walmart creates about 250 new jobs
· Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
· Grand opening event Wednesday, Aug. 3, 7 a.m.
· Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart1081
GAINSVILLE, Fla., Aug. 3, 2016 – A new Walmart Supercenter in Gainesville will open Wednesday, August 3, bringing a broad assortment of fresh groceries and general merchandise at everyday low prices. Customers will also enjoy convenient on-site services such as a full pharmacy (and fuel station) and a free store pickup service providing an easy way to shop millions of products on Walmart.com, with many items available for pickup the same day. The new store will employ up to 300 full- and part-time associates.
“We are excited to open and serve our friends and neighbors in the Gainesville community, just in time for the 2016 school year,” said Jim Perry, store manager.
Fresh, Affordable Produce, Meat and Groceries
The Gainesville Supercenter is a full grocery store with fresh produce, meat, pantry staples and more at Walmart’s everyday low prices. In addition to organics and nutritious food choices, customers will also find a full-service deli and in-store bakery offering custom or custom cakes and fresh baked breads
Full-Service Pharmacy Offers Health and Wellness Services
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services, including prescription and over-the-counter medications, health monitors and more. Pharmacists can administer most commonly requested immunizations, including flu shots, and the pharmacy features a drive-through window for added convenience. Gainesville residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app. In addition, a full-service vision center offers a wide variety of affordable, quality eyewear – including glasses and contacts – optical products for all ages, and on-site eye exams.
Millions of Items with Easy Digital and In-Store Shopping
The store is approximately 187,000 square feet and stocked with quality electronics, furniture, automotive, sporting goods, home improvement, apparel, toys and more from top brands at Walmart’s everyday low prices. Like all Walmart stores, the Gainesville store will feature Walmart Pickup, free store pickup service offering free shipping from Walmart.com on eligible items. Many items are available for pickup the same day.
The Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android makes shopping easier than ever. Customers can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items in their store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com through the app.
Job Opportunities at Walmart
The store will employ up to 500 associates for full- and part-time positions within the store. Applicants interested in careers at Walmart can apply at a store’s hiring kiosk or online at Walmartcareers.com.
Starting in 2015, Walmart began making a $2.7 billion investment over a two year period in higher wages, more scheduling choices and further training for its associates. As part of increased wages across the company, the average full time hourly associate now makes $13.51 an hour in Florida. More than 75 percent of store management teams started as hourly associates. In 2014, 160,000 associates were promoted, and 40 percent of those promotions went to associates within the first year of their employment. The new investment is designed to help make Walmart not only a better place to shop but a better place to work.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $5,000 in grants from Walmart to local community groups including Gainesville Police Department and Children’s Miracle Network. The new store will also continue a commitment by Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to fight hunger in Gainesville and across the U.S. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation recently exceeded a $2 billion goal to fight hunger one year ahead of schedule and have donated more than 1.5 billion pounds of food to those in need across the country.
Two Celebration Events: Grand Opening and A Big Family Welcome
Local associates will provide a special welcome to members of Gainesville at two public events. Store associates will host a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony on grand opening day, Aug. 3, at 7 a.m. The following Saturday, Aug. 6, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Sunday, Aug. 7, from noon to 4 p.m. local residents are invited to A Big Family Welcome celebration. This will give customers a chance to meet Perry and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, nearly 260 million customers and members visit our 11,527 stores under 63 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2016 revenue of $482 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 2900 SW 42nd Street, Gainesville, Fla.
- Size: Approximately 187,000 square feet
- Store manager: Jim Perry Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Aug. 3, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7 a.m.
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart1081
Greater Convenience and More Ways to Shop:
- Free store pickup program: Customers can shop millions of products on Walmart.com and have them shipped to the store for free
- Walmart Mobile App: Customer can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items within the store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com.
- Fuel station: Customers paying with Walmart gift card receive discount of 3 cents per gallon, etc.
- Financial services
- Bluebird: A product by American Express that provides an alternative to traditional checking and debit accounts
- Access to starter kits for Green Dot’s “GoBank” checking account services
- Money Transfers, Money Orders, and Express Bill Pay offered through MoneyGram
- Walmart Money Card offered through Green Dot
- Walmart2Walmart Money Transfers offered through RIA Bill Payment offered through “CheckFreePay”
- Gift Cards for use at any Walmart store or at Walmart.com.
- Trade-In programs:
- Smartphone: Customers trading in eligible smartphones can receive an immediate credit of $50 to $300 towards purchase of new smartphone
- Video games: Customers trading in eligible video games can receive an eGift Card for select video games and other electronics
For more information
Media contact: Christina Morton, Consensus, 407-212-2658 Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085 Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com