- Relocated store located at 6400 Ridge Road, Suite 1
- Eldersburg Walmart creates approximately 150 new jobs
- Store open 6 a.m. to midnight
- Grand opening event Wednesday, Oct. 21, 7:30 a.m.
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart2436
SYKESVILLE, Md., Oct. 14, 2015 – The newly relocated Sykesville Walmart will open on Wednesday, October 21, bringing a broad assortment of fresh groceries and general merchandise at everyday low prices. Customers will also enjoy convenient on-site services such as a full pharmacy, fuel station and a free store pickup service providing an easy way to shop millions of products on Walmart.com, with many items available for pickup the same day. The new store will employ up to 400 full- and part-time associates.
“I’m excited to bring residents this newly relocated store, where they will enjoy the convenience and variety they have come to appreciate from the Sykesville Walmart, now with fresh produce and meat, and other new features,” Butcher said.
Fresh, Affordable Produce, Meat and Groceries
The Sykesville Supercenter is a full grocery store with fresh produce, meat, pantry staples and more at Walmart’s everyday low prices. In addition to organics and nutritious food choices, customers will also find a full-service deli and in-store bakery offering custom cakes, including fresh bakes breads and custom tortillas.
Pharmacy Offers Health and Wellness Services
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services, including prescription and over-the-counter medications, health monitors and more. Pharmacists can administer most commonly requested immunizations, including flu shots, and the pharmacy features a drive-through window for added convenience. Sykesville residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app. In addition, a full-service vision center offers a wide variety of affordable, quality eyewear – including glasses and contacts – optical products for all ages, and on-site eye exams.
of Items with Easy Digital and In-Store Shopping
The store is approximately 187,000 square feet and stocked with quality electronics, furniture, automotive, sporting goods, home improvement, apparel, toys and more from top brands at Walmart’s everyday low prices. Like all Walmart stores, the Sykesville store will feature Walmart Pickup, free store pickup service offering free shipping from Walmart.com on eligible items. Many items are available for pickup the same day.
The Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android makes shopping easier than ever. Customers can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items in their store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com through the app.
Job Opportunities at Walmart
The store will employ up to 400 associates for full- and part-time positions within the store. Applicants interested in careers at Walmart can apply at a store’s hiring kiosk or online at Walmartcareers.com. Butcher began her Walmart career in 1997 as a temporary cashier at a store in Keyser, W.Va.
At Walmart, more than 75 percent of store management teams started as hourly associates. In 2014, 160,000 associates were promoted, and 40 percent of those promotions went to associates within the first year of their employment. Earlier this year Walmart announced it would be investing more than $1B in higher wages and training and other enhancements for its associates.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $10,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups including BARCS, Carrolltown Elementary, Eldersburg Library, Emergency Management of Carroll County, Liberty High School, Oaklahoma Middle School, Piney Run Park, The Samaritan Women, St. Stephen’s Christian Academy, and Sykesville Freedom Fire Department. The new store will also continue a commitment by Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to fight hunger in Sykesville and across the U.S. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation recently exceeded a $2 billion goal to fight hunger one year ahead of schedule and have donated more than 1.5 billion pounds of food to those in need across the country.
Celebration Events: Grand Opening and A Big Family Welcome
Local associates will provide a special welcome to members of Sykesville at two public events. Store associates will host a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony on grand opening day, Oct. 21, at 7:30 a.m. The following Saturday, Oct. 24, local residents are invited to A Big Family Welcome, which will give customers a chance to meet Butcher and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, we serve nearly 260 million customers who visit our 11,532 stores under 65 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2015 revenue of $486 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 6400 Ridge Road, Suite 1, Sykesville, Md.
- Size: Approximately 187,000 square feet
- Store manager: Natalie Butcher
- Hours: 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Oct. 21, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart2436
Convenience and More Ways to Shop:
- Free store pickup program: Customers can shop millions of products on Walmart.com and have them shipped to the store for free
- Walmart Mobile App: Customer can refill prescription medications, create shopping lists, search the location of items within the store, check weekly ads and prices, save eReceipts and shop Walmart.com.
- Fuel station: Customers paying with Walmart gift card receive discount of 3 cents per gallon, etc.
- Financial services
- Bluebird: A product by American Express that provides an alternative to traditional checking and debit accounts
- Access to starter kits for Green Dot’s “GoBank” checking account services
- Money Transfers, Money Orders, and Express Bill Pay offered through MoneyGram
- Walmart Money Card offered through Green Dot
- Walmart2Walmart Money Transfers offered through RIA
- Bill Payment offered through CheckFreePay
- Gift Cards for use at any Walmart store or at Walmart.com.
- Trade-In programs:
- Media contact: John Engleman, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-305-1665
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com