Smaller store offers convenient access, low prices every day
- New Walmart on Campus located on VCU campus
- Approximately 20 jobs created by VCU Walmart on Campus
- Store open Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
RICHMOND, Va., April 29, 2015 - Virginia Commonwealth University will be home to the newest Walmart on Campus concept store. Scheduled to open Wednesday, April 29, the store is part of a pilot program designed to provide VCU students and faculty, as well as the surrounding neighborhood, more convenient access to affordable products. The first Walmart on Campus opened at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville in January 2011, and three more have opened in states across the country. The new Walmart on Campus is located at 912 W. Grace St.
The approximately 4,100-square-foot Walmart on Campus features a pharmacy and offers groceries and general merchandise, including an assortment of fresh produce, dairy and meats, dry goods, consumables, health and beauty aids, over-the-counter medicines and merchandise tailored to the campus.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
Store manager Tanya Holmes began her Walmart career in 2009 as a Money Center cashier.
“I am excited to bring this store to the VCU community,” said Holmes. “Students and area residents will have a new way to save money and live better.”
Celebration at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 29
Community leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 29, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new store.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the VCU campus community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, May 2. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Holmes and enjoy free samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Join the Conversation
Walmart invites Richmond shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook and Twitter by using #MyNewWalmart. Visit the My Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart4502. Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store events, meal solutions and more.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our more than 10,800 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2013 sales of approximately $466 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
VCU Walmart on Campus
- Location: 912 W. Grace St., Richmond, Va.
- Approximately 4,100 square feet
- Grand opening: Wednesday, April 29, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Store manager: Tanya Holmes
- Store hours: Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- An assortment of fresh produce, dairy and meats, dry goods, consumables, health and beauty aids and over-the-counter medicines
- Access to all Walmart health and wellness services, including a full pharmacy and signature $4 generic prescription program
- Will serve most insurance plans
- Offer Walmart Financial Services, including check cashing and bill pay
- Saturday, May 2 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Walmart Media Relations,
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com