Relocated Walmart provides approximately 85 additional jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise – in stores and online
- New store located at 990 N. Missouri Ave., relocating from 1111 N. Missouri Ave.
- Relocated Largo Walmart creates approximately 85 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart1712
LARGO, Fla., Oct. 15, 2014 – A relocated Walmart is opening Wednesday October 22, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store is conveniently located at 990 N. Missouri Ave., relocated from 1111 N. Missouri Ave., and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Largo residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Largo store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The new store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Emmanuel Gilliam began his Walmart career in 1996 as an hourly associate. Gilliam is one of the many veterans that are employed by Walmart.
“We are excited to continue to offer top-quality customer service in our new location,” said Gilliam. “Though some aspects are new, we will always be a convenient one-stop shopping option for the community.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The new store offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections. There is also a wide variety of meat and bakery selections perfect for a holiday meal.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and family apparel. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Largo store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Largo residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
“This new Walmart in the heart of Largo is a welcome addition,” said Tom Morrissette, president of the Central Pinellas Chamber of Commerce. “It has redeveloped what had been a blighted property and its presence will certainly enhance our opportunities for further development.”
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $7,000 in grants from Walmart to local community groups. Grant recipients include Largo High School Band of Gold, Largo Middle School, Homeless Emergency Project, City of Largo Shop with a Cop or Fireman, City of Largo Parks and Recreation, Pak a Sack and RCS Food Bank.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Florida donated approximately 35.2 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 29.3 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $66.8 million in fiscal year 2014 in Florida alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Largo community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, October 25. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Gilliam and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 250 million customers and members visit our 11,053 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
- Location: 990 N. Missouri Ave., Largo, Fla.
- Previous location: 1111 N. Missouri Ave.
- Size: Approximately 115,000 square feet
- Store manager: Emmanuel Gilliam
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, October 22, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 85
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- In-store Pharmacy
- $7,000 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Largo High School Band of Gold
- Largo Middle School
- Homeless Emergency Project
- City of Largo Shop with a Cop or Fireman
- City of Largo Parks and Recreation
- Pak a Sack
- RCS Food Bank
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart1712
A Big Family Welcome
- Saturday, October 25 from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Bridget Schultz, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-301-7987
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com