New Walmart provides approximately 300 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise – in stores and online
- New store located at 4821 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Virginia Beach Walmart creates approximately 300 new jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart4064
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Oct. 1, 2014 – A new Walmart is opening Wednesday, Oct. 8, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store is conveniently located at 4821 Virginia Beach Blvd. and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Virginia Beach residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Virginia Beach store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The new store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Janis Gamester began her Walmart career in 1996 as an hourly cashier.
“We are excited to open the newest Walmart in Virginia Beach,” said Gamester. “We look forward to meeting our customers and providing them a convenient place to save money and live better.”
The new Walmart will also feature six handmade art tile murals by local artist Diane Husson.
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The new store offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections. There is also a wide variety of meat and bakery selections.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and seasonal items. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Virginia Beach store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Virginia Beach residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $6,500 in grants from Walmart to local community groups. Local organizations receiving grants include Fire Department of Virginia Beach CERT Program, Jim White Community Fitness Foundation L.I.F.T Program, Virginia Beach Fraternal Order of Police Lodge Number 8 Associates, Samaritan House, Dress for Success, Princess Anne High School, Delta Waterfowl Back Bay Boys and the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Virginia donated approximately 21.9 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 18.3 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $40.1 million in fiscal year 2014 in Virginia alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family
Walmart is happy to be part of the Virginia Beach community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, Oct. 11. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Gamester and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 250 million customers and members visit our 11,053 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
Virginia Beach Walmart
- Location: 4821 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach, Va.
- Size: Approximately 150,000 square feet
- Store manager: Janis Gamester
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Oct 8, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Murals by Virginia Beach artist Diane Husson
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Beer and Wine
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- Vision Center
- $6,500 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Fire Department of Virginia Beach CERT Program
- Jim White Community Fitness Foundation L.I.F.T Program
- Virginia Beach Fraternal Order of Police Lodge Number 8 Associates
- Samaritan House
- Dress for Success
- Princess Anne High School
- Delta Waterfowl Back Bay Boy
- Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart4064
- Saturday, Oct. 11, from noon to 3 p.m.
- Media contact: Ashley Helms, Capital Results, 804-771-5303
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com