Larger Walmart provides approximately 80 additional jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise – in stores and online
- Expanded store located at 1800 S. University Drive
- Miramar Walmart expansion creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart1511
MIRAMAR, Fla., Oct. 1, 2014 – An expanded Walmart is re-opening Wednesday, October 8, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The larger store is conveniently located at 1800 S. University Drive and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Miramar residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Miramar store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The expanded store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Antonio Sevilla started his Walmart career in 1993 as an hourly sales associate.
“The additional space our Walmart contains will provide a better shopping experience for our customers,” said Sevilla. “It continues to be a convenient shopping location, and now it also offers a wider variety of products”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The new store offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names. There is also a wide variety of treats perfect for Halloween trick-or-treaters.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and toys. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Miramar store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Miramar residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
“How exciting it is to witness [Walmart’s] success and expansion in our city,” said Miramar Mayor Lori C. Moseley.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of grants from Walmart to local community groups.
In addition to the grants given as part of
the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger
in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion
commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Florida donated
approximately 35.2 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the
equivalent of 29.3 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart
Foundation gave more than $66.8 million in fiscal year 2014 in Florida alone.
For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Miramar community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, October 11. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Sevilla and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 250 million customers and members visit our 11,053 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
- Location: 1800 S. University Drive, Miramar, Fla.
- Size: Approximately 160,000 square feet, including approximately 40,000 square feet created by the expansion
- Store manager: Antonio Sevilla
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, October 8, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300, with approximately 80 additional jobs added by the expansion
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- In-store pharmacy
- Grants from Walmart will be presented to area organizations
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart1511
- Saturday, October 11 from noon to 3 p.m.
- Media contact: Contact: Bridget Schultz, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-301-7987
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com