Larger Walmart provides approximately 80 additional jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise – in stores and online
- Expanded store located at 8400 Rosedale Highway
- Bakersfield Walmart expansion creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/Walmart2557
BAKERSFIELD, Calif., Sept. 24, 2014 – An expanded Walmart is re-opening Wednesday, Oct. 1, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The larger store is conveniently located at 8400 Rosedale Highway and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Bakersfield residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Bakersfield store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The expanded store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Kurt Anderson began his Walmart career in 1991 as a department manager.
“This expansion gives our store the opportunity to better serve the Northwest Bakersfield community,” said Anderson. “We are excited for our customers to enjoy an improved shopping experience.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The expanded store now offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections. There is also a wide variety of meat and bakery selections perfect for a family weekend meal.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and toys. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Bakersfield store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Bakersfield residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of grants from Walmart to local community groups.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in California donated approximately 23.1 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 19.3 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $47.1 million in fiscal year 2014 in California alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
Walmart is happy to be part of the Bakersfield community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, Oct. 4. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Anderson and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 250 million customers and members visit our 11,053 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
- Location: 8400 Rosedale Highway, Bakersfield, Calif.
- Size: Approximately 161,000 square feet, approximately 35,000 square feet created by the expansion
- Store manager: Kurt Anderson
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand re-opening: Wednesday, Oct. 1,following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300, with approximately 80 additional jobs added by the expansion
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- In-store pharmacy
- Vision Center
- Grants from Walmart will be presented to area organizations
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart2557
- Saturday, Oct. 4, from noon to 3 p.m.
- Media contact: David Cumpston, Landis Communications, 415-359-2319
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com