- New store located at 4301 Byberry Road relocating from 1 Franklin Mills Blvd.
- Relocated Philadelphia Walmart creates approximately 85 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart2650
PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 18, 2014 – A relocated Walmart is opening Wednesday, Sept. 24, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:00 a.m. The new store is conveniently located at Philadelphia Mills on 4301 Byberry Road, relocated from 1 Franklin Mills Blvd. and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Philadelphia-area residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Philadelphia store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The new store employs approximately 400 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Allan McWethy began his Walmart career in 1998 as a developmental co-manager.
“Walmart has been a part of this community for nearly 16 years,” said McWethy. “We are excited to be relocating so that we can better serve our customers and continue to help them save money and live better.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The new store offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections. There is also a wide variety of meat and bakery selections.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and seasonal items. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Philadelphia store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Philadelphia residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
"The addition of Walmart to our property positions Philadelphia Mills as a true one-stop shopping destination for area residents, offering a convenient option for customers' retail, entertainment, grocery and pharmacy needs in one central location,” said Gregg Goodman, President of The Mills. "We look forward to having Walmart at Philadelphia Mills to better meet the needs of our customers."
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $20,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Pennsylvania donated approximately 12.9 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 10.8 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $26.5 million in fiscal year 2014 in Pennsylvania alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Philadelphia community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, Sept. 27. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet McWethy and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 250 million customers and members visit our 11,053 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.
- Location: 4301 Byberry Road, Philadelphia
- Previous location: 1 Franklin Mills Blvd., Philadelphia
- Size: Approximately 180,000 square feet
- Store manager: Allan McWethy
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Sept. 24, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:00 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 150 additional
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- Vision Center
- $20,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to area organizations
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart2650
A Big Family Welcome
- Saturday, Sept. 27, from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Kera Armstrong, Ceisler Media, 215-735-6760
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com