- Expanded store located at 420 Buckland Hills Drive
- Manchester Walmart expansion creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart1891
MANCESTER, Conn., Aug. 20, 2014– An expanded Walmart is re-opening Wednesday, August 27, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 8 a.m. The larger store is conveniently located at 420 Buckland Hills Drive and is open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. The store will provide Manchester residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Manchester store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The expanded store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Ray Mercado began his Walmart career in 1994 as an hourly department manager.
“This store was the first Walmart built in Connecticut,” said Mercado. “We are excited to be able to better serve our customers with this expansion and provide them with a convenient location to pick up fresh produce and more.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The expanded store now offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections. There is also a wide variety of meat for your Labor Day grilling needs and bakery selections.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and back-to-school supplies. Customers can also shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Manchester store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Manchester residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
“The Manchester Chamber is excited to be part of the opening of the newly renovated superstore! We have had a strong community partnership in the past with Walmart and look forward continuing to grow that relationship,” said April DiFalco, Manchester Chamber president. “Walmart has been integral with assisting in our efforts with workforce development by hiring at least 80 more employees with this renovation.”
The grand re-opening celebration includes presentations of $10,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Connecticut donated approximately 1.4 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 1.2 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $3.5 million in fiscal year 2014 in Connecticut alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Manchester community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, August 30. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Mercado and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our almost 11,000 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 420 Buckand Hills Drive, Manchester, Conn.
- Size: Approximately 150,000 square feet, including approximately 30,000 square feet created by the expansion
- Store manager: Ray Mercado
- Hours: 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Grand re-opening: Wednesday, Aug.27, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 8 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300, with approximately 80 additional jobs added by the expansion
- Full- and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Full-service deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Pay with Cash option
- Vision Center
- $10,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to area organizations.
A Big Family Welcome
- Saturday, Aug. 30, from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Bridget Schultz, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-301-7987
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com