- New Walmart Neighborhood Market located at 727 W. Golf Road
- Up to 95 jobs created by Des Plaines Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart6167
DES PLAINES, Ill., Aug. 13, 2014– A new Walmart Neighborhood Market is opening Wednesday, Aug. 20, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store is conveniently located at 727 W. Golf Road and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Des Plaines residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Des Plaines store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The new Des Plaines store is part of Walmart’s plan to open an additional 270 to 300 small-format locations this year. The first Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in 1998, and today there are approximately 300 Walmart Neighborhood Market stores nationwide.
The new store will provide local customers with a new, convenient option for their grocery shopping needs, including fresh produce and pharmacy services.
“We have worked hard to prepare this store for grand-opening day,” said store manager Jeremy Arndt. “This Walmart Neighborhood Market brings great jobs and an easy in-and-out shopping to Des Plaines.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet Your Needs
The new store offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections and local favorites for back-to-school lunches.
Smaller Store, More Convenience
The new store is approximately one-fifth the size of a Walmart Supercenter. In addition to groceries, the store features health and beauty aids, pet products and cleaning supplies. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Des Plaines store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Des Plaines residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
New Store, New Jobs
The new store employs up to 95 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Arndt began his Walmart career in 1998 as a garden sales associate.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $5,250 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups. Grant recipients include Des Plaines Community Senior Center, Des Plaines Community Foundation, Des Plaines Police Department, Kiwanis Club of Des Plaines, Self-Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines, Society of St Vincent De Paul and The Salvation Army.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Illinois donated approximately 18.2 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 15.1 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $35.6 million in fiscal year 2014 in Illinois alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Des Plaines community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, Aug. 23. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Arndt and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Des Plaines Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Location: 727 W. Golf Road. Des Plaines, Ill.
- Size: Approximately 37,000 square feet
- Store manager: Jeremy Arndt
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, Aug. 20, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Full line of groceries, including:
- Fresh produce
- Self-serve deli
- Organic/natural selections
- Beer, wine and spirits
- Additional merchandise includes:
- Health and beauty aids
- Pet and cleaning products
- Hardware and stationery
- Convenience services include:
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- $5,250 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Des Plaines Community Senior Center
- Des Plaines Community Foundation
- Des Plaines Police Department
- Kiwanis Club of Des Plaines
- Self-Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines
- Society of St Vincent De Paul
- The Salvation Army
- Number of jobs created: Up to 95
- Full- and part-time positions
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart1234
A Big Family Welcome
- Saturday, Aug. 23 from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Betsy Sales, Serafin & Associates, 312-943-1955
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com