Retailer helps customers stretch savings with deals timed with state sales tax holidays and peak online shopping
BENTONVILLE, Ark. – July 30, 2014 – Walmart is kicking off back-to-college shopping with savings for customers however they like to shop – in stores, online and through their mobile devices. Starting Aug. 1, the retailer is releasing deals tailored to college students looking for the top electronics, dorm décor and school essentials.
Walmart’s rollbacks and special buys are timed to the start of sales tax holidays in select states and at a time that data shows a spike in customers shopping online for Back to School. Customers can get additional savings online with 400 Cyber Monday deals available Aug. 4 for one day only.
“The combination of families stocking up on school supplies, college students shopping for electronics and select state sales tax holidays makes this one of the busiest times of the year for us,” said Steve Bratspies, executive vice president, general merchandise for Walmart U.S. “We know that customers are searching for ways to save as they prepare for the fall. That’s why we’re making it easier for them to get back to class for less with great deals available on Walmart.com and in our stores.”
Special Buys and Bundles In-Store and Online
Great deals beginning Aug. 1 include:
- Bundles that save customers even more, like a limited-time offer Dell laptop bundle with a wireless mouse, one-year McAfee LiveSafe Antivirus and a laptop sleeve for $399
prices on electronics tailored to college students:
o Rollbacks on a Roku 1 Streaming Device to $39 (originally $48) and an Apple iPad with Retina display
for $349 (originally $399)
o Special buys including a Hisense 40” LED TV for $239, a Nextbook 8 tablet for $79, an RCA 10" Tablet
with keyboard for $99 and a Canon 2920 wireless printer for $39
o Gift cards and bonuses with certain popular items, like a free Xbox Live one-year membership ($59.96
value) with the purchase of an Xbox One console for $399 and a free $30 Walmart gift card with the
purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Ace Style for $149.88
- Rollbacks on college living items including a Mainstays Metal Arm Futon for $99 (originally $124)
Walmart.com Deals Aug. 4
Walmart’s busiest days online for back-to-school shopping typically happen during the first two weeks of August. That’s why on Monday, Aug. 4, Walmart is bringing back its popular Back-to-School Cyber Monday savings event for students of all ages. Customers shopping Walmart.com have the opportunity for big savings on more than 400 blockbuster back-to-school deals in dorm décor, smartphones, tablets, laptops and kids’ clothing and backpacks, while supplies last. Those deals bring an average savings of 35 percent and on some items customers can even save up to 60 percent.
“Last year we broke records with our first back-to-school Cyber Monday event – it was our biggest Walmart.com sales day outside of the holiday season and we’re making it even bigger this year with more than 30 percent additional back-to-school items at great prices,” said Kelly Thompson, senior vice president of merchandising for Walmart.com. “Customers who prefer to shop online or on their mobile devices can get free delivery to more than 4,000 Walmart stores nationwide and directly to their door for select purchases.”
Featured Cyber Monday deals include:
Electronics and Gadgets:
- HMDX Bluetooth Headphones for $19.99 (60% savings)*
- HP Deskjet 1512 Inkjet All-in-One Printer for $25 (50% savings)*
- 9" Tablet 8GB memory with case and keyboard for $79 (20% savings)*
- SCEPTRE LED 32” 720P HDTV for $149 (17% savings)*
- $40 off GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition Action Camcorder (with gift card)*
- $100 off Straight Talk Pre-paid Apple iPhone 5C ($549) and iPhone 5S ($649)*
- Girls’ & Boys’ Approved Schoolwear Polos $3.97 (18% savings)*
- Girls’ & Boys’ 7-piece Uniform Bundle for $40 (20% savings)*
- Licensed Backpacks & Tote Bags like My Little Pony and Monsters for $5 (50% savings)*
- Crayola Classic Color Pack Crayons, 120 count for $5.97 cents (nearly 60% savings)*
- Elmer's Washable School Glue, 4fl oz for 50 cents (30% savings)*
- Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator for $99.97 (26% savings)*
- Quirky Pivot Power PoP Jr. Flexible Surge Protector for $9.87 (35% savings)*
- 5pc bed in a bag just $39 (26% savings)*
- Magic Chef microwave for $49 (14% savings)*
* Prices available only for Monday, Aug. 4, 2014
Tax Holiday Savings Online and In Store
Customers in the 16 states with sales tax holidays in late July and early August can take advantage of zero or reduced sales tax on select back-to-school items at Walmart stores. For ultimate convenience and increased access to these savings, Walmart.com is participating in state sales tax holidays where allowed by local law. More information about state sales tax holidays is available at http://www.walmart.com/cp/Tax-Free/1106992.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our almost 11,000 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.