- Expanded store located at 20910 Frederick Road
- Germantown Walmart expansion creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Local Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart2357
GERMANTOWN, Md., July 24, 2014 – An expanded Walmart is re-opening Wednesday, July 30, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7 a.m. The larger store is conveniently located at 20910 Frederick Road and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The store will provide Germantown residents with low prices on a broad assortment of merchandise and offer Walmart's free Site to Store program, enabling customers to choose from nearly a million additional online items that can be ordered on Walmart.com and picked up at the Germantown store for free, often as quickly as the same day.
The expanded store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates. Store manager John Mancini began his Walmart career in 2012 as a shift manager.
“Walmart is excited to expand our selection for the Germantown community,” said Mancini. “We have everything you need for your summertime fun, back to school and easy meals.”
Affordable Groceries to Meet All Your Needs
The expanded store now offers fresh produce and a full line of groceries from all the leading brand names, including organic and natural selections.
In addition to groceries, the store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including electronics and back-to-school supplies. In addition, customers can shop a broader assortment of items online at Walmart.com and then pay for these purchases with cash in all of Walmart’s U.S. stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets, including the new Germantown store.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions. Germantown residents can easily transfer prescriptions and order refills on the go with the Walmart mobile app for iPhone and Android.
“Montgomery County and Germantown residents greatly appreciate Walmart,” said Corporal Terry Gloster, a 29-year member of the Montgomery County Police Department. “Walmart is good for our community and has always been beneficial to the well-being of our neighborhood. It has been our pleasure to provide security to this store and we look forward to continuing to do so in the future.”
The grand re-opening celebration includes presentations of $6,000 in grants from Walmart to local community groups. Grant recipients include the Montgomery County Police Department, Operation Second Chance and Rocky Hill Middle School.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Maryland donated approximately 3.2 million pounds of food in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 2.6 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $7 million in fiscal year 2014 in Maryland alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
Walmart is happy to be part of the Germantown community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, August 2. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Mancini and enjoy fun family activities and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our more than 10,800 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2013 sales of approximately $466 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 20910 Frederick Road, Germantown, Md.
- Size: Approximately 166,000 square feet, approximately 16,000 square feet created by the expansion
- Store manager: John Mancini
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand re-opening: Wednesday, July 30, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7 a.m.
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300, with approximately 80 additional jobs added by the expansion
- Full-time and part-time positions
- General merchandise
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Convenience services include
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Vision Center
- $6,000 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Montgomery County Police Department
- Operation Second Chance
- Rocky Hill Middle School
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/walmart2357
- Saturday, August 2, from noon to 3 p.m.
- Media contact: Harry Hammel, Sandy Hillman Communications, 410-616-8945
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com