- New Walmart Neighborhood Market located at 3555 S. 8400 West
- Up to 95 jobs created by Magna Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store open 5 a.m. until midnight, seven days a week
MAGNA, Utah, (June 11, 2014) – Walmart will open a new Walmart Neighborhood Market Wednesday, June 18, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store, approximately one-fifth the size of a Walmart Supercenter, is located at 3555 S. 8400 West and is open 5 a.m. until midnight. The new store will provide local customers with a new, convenient option for their grocery shopping needs, including fresh produce and pharmacy services.
“This new store is an important piece of the blossoming economic vitality we are working to create in the Magna Township and will give residents more options to spend their money locally and support their community,” said Patrick Leary, Township Executive for Salt Lake County’s Office of Township Services. “We are delighted to have a Walmart Neighborhood Market in Magna and look forward to grand opening day.”
Smaller Store, More Convenience
The Walmart Neighborhood Market format offers quick and convenient shopping, with a full-grocery department, including organic and natural selections. The store features prepared food options, fresh baked breads, self-serve deli and a bakery. The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of $4,500 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups. These include:
- Cypress High School
- Elk Run Elementary School
- Lake Ridge Elementary School
- Magna Fact
- Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
- Salt Lake County Senior Center
- The Door Christian Fellowship Church
- Unified Fire Authority Station
- Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in Utah donated approximately 9.2 million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 7.6 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $17.3 million in fiscal year 2014 in Utah alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
New Store, New Jobs
The new store employs up to 95 full- and part-time associates. The first Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in 1998, and today there are approximately 300 Walmart Neighborhood Market stores nationwide.
Store manager Dennis Jackson began his Walmart career in 1983 as an hourly associate.
“We hope our neighbors here in Magna will join us the morning of June 18th at 7:30,” said Jackson. “We will have a brief grand opening ceremony and then officially open the store to the community.”
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Magna community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, June 21. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Dennis Jackson and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Join the Conversation
Walmart invites Magna shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook and Twitter by using #MyNewWalmart. Visit the My Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart4706. Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store events, meal solutions and more.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Magna Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Location: 3555 S. 8400 West, Magna, Utah
- Size: Approximately 41,000 square feet
- Store manager: Dennis Jackson
- Hours: 5 a.m. until midnight
- Grand opening: Wednesday, June 18, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Full line of groceries, including:
- Fresh produce
- Self-serve deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- Additional merchandise includes:
- Health and beauty aids
- Pet and cleaning products
- Hardware and stationery
- Convenience services include:
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- $4,500 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the following area organizations:
High School o
Elk Run Elementary School
o Lake Ridge Elementary School
o Magna Fact
o Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
o Salt Lake County Senior Center
o The Door Christian Fellowship Church
o Unified Fire Authority Station
o Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake
- Number of jobs created: Up to 95
- Full- and part-time positions
- Saturday, June 21, noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Cydnee Cochran, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-366-8618
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com