Expansion provides approximately 80 additional jobs, plus savings on wider selection of merchandise
- Store located at 2106 Mount Holly Road
- Approximately 70,000 additional square feet
- Burlington Walmart creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
BURLINGTON, N.J., June 4, 2014 – An expanded Walmart will unveil the changes Wednesday, June 4, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7 a.m. The expanded store at 2106 Mount Holly Road is conveniently located in Liberty Square and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It will provide Burlington residents with shopping convenience for their grocery and general merchandise needs. The store also offers pharmacy services.
The expansion adds approximately 70,000 square feet to the existing store and will allow for a larger selection of merchandise for customers. New departments include a full line of grocery, produce, deli, bakery, meat, full frozen and dairy.
Burlington Mayor Brian Carlin noted, "We welcome the expansion of Walmart who has been a good corporate resident of our town for the past 20 years. With this expansion, our residents will benefit as it provides an additional option for all of their shopping needs and encourages competition which is always good for consumers. As seen from Walmart’s grants to a number of our community organizations like the Heritage Commission, the Food Pantry, the Education Foundation and the Burlington Township Sports Club Foundation that Walmart is committed to being a contributing corporate resident to the people of Burlington Township."
The store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including apparel, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and lawn and garden items. It also offers a full line of groceries, including organic and natural selections in addition to local favorites.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
The grand-opening celebration also includes presentations of $8,000 in grants from Walmart to local community groups. Grant recipients include Burlington Fire Department, Burlington Police Department, Burlington Township Food Pantry, Burlington Township Sports Foundation, Burlington Heritage Commission, and Burlington Township Education Foundation.
In addition to the grants given as part of the grand opening, the new store will further Walmart’s pledge to fight hunger in America. As part of Walmart’s and the Walmart Foundation’s $2 billion commitment to fight hunger through 2015, Walmart stores in New Jersey donated approximately two million pounds of food, in fiscal year 2014, or the equivalent of 1.7 million meals. Additionally, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $5.4 million in fiscal year 2014 in New Jersey alone. For more information on Walmart’s fight against hunger, visit http://foundation.walmart.com/our-focus/hunger.
More Store, More Jobs
The store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates, including approximately 80 positions created by the expansion. Store manager Travis Stumpf began his Walmart career in 2005 as an assistant manager.
“We are so excited to cut the ribbon and invite the community into the expanded store,” said Stumpf. “I think our shoppers will love the additions to make shopping even easier.”
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Burlington community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, June 7. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Stumpf and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Join the Conversation
Walmart invites Burlington shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook and Twitter by using #MyNewWalmart. Visit the My Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart2040. Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store events, meal solutions and more.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 2106 Mount Holly Road, Burlington, N.J.
- Size: Approximately 189,000 square feet, including approximately 70,000 square feet created by the expansion
- Store manager: Travis Stumpf
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, June 4, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7 a.m.
- Full line of groceries, including:
- Fresh produce
- Self-serve deli
- Prepared meal options
- Organic/natural selections
- General merchandise categories include:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
- Household goods
- Convenience services include:
- Tire & Lube
- Vision Center
- Digital-photo processing center
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- $8,000 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Burlington Fire Department
- Burlington Police Department
- Burlington Township Food Pantry
- Burlington Township Sports Foundation
- Burlington Heritage and Environmental Commission
- Burlington Township Education Foundation
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300 jobs, including approximately 80 created by the expansion
- Full- and part-time positions
- Saturday, June 7, from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Michael Cherenson, Success Communications, 973-597-5104
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085