New Walmart provides approximately 200 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
- New store located at Forest Avenue and Glenside Drive
- Walmart creates approximately 200 new jobs
- Store open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
RICHMOND, Va., May 21, 2014 – A new Walmart opened today after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store at 6920 Forest Ave. is conveniently located at Forest Avenue and Glenside Drive. It is open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. It will provide Richmond residents with shopping convenience for their grocery and general merchandise needs. The store also offers pharmacy services, including a drive-thru.
“We’re very proud of the new store and the new jobs it brings to the Richmond area,” said Christopher Pratt, Store Manager. “We look forward to meeting all of our new neighbors at the Big Family Welcome event this Saturday, too.”
The store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including apparel, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and lawn and garden items. It also offers a full line of groceries, including organic and natural selections in addition to local favorites.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
The grand-opening celebration also includes presentations of $4,000 in grants from Walmart to local community groups. Recipients include Tuckahoe Fire and Rescue and Crestview Elementary School.
New Store, New Jobs
The new store employs approximately 200 full- and part-time associates. Store manager Christopher Pratt began his Walmart career in 2003 as an hourly associate at a store in Glenn Allen, Virginia.
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Richmond community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, May 24. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Pratt and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Join the Conversation
Walmart invites Richmond shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook and Twitter by using #MyNewWalmart. Visit the My Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart4181. Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store events, meal solutions and more.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 6920 Forest Ave., Richmond, Va.
- Size: Approximately 89,000 square feet
- Store manager: Chris Pratt
- Hours: 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, May 21, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m.
- Full line of groceries, including:
- Fresh produce
- Self-serve deli
- Prepared meal options, including rotisserie chicken
- Organic/natural selections
- Beer and wine selections
- General merchandise categories include:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
- Household goods
- Convenience services include:
- Pharmacy, with drive-thru
- Tire & Lube
- Vision Center
- Digital-photo processing center
- Site to Store
- $4,000 in grants from Walmart will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Tuckahoe Fire and Rescue
- Crestview Elementary School
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 200
- Full- and part-time positions
- Saturday, May 24 from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information