- Store located at 2189 S. 75th St.
- Approximately 50,000 additional square feet
- Darien Walmart creates approximately 80 additional jobs
- Store open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
DARIEN, Ill., April 2, 2014 – An expanded Walmart will unveil the changes Wednesday, April 9, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 8 a.m. The expanded store at 2189 S. 75th St. is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It will provide Darien residents with one-stop shopping convenience for their grocery and general merchandise needs. The store also offers pharmacy services.
The expansion adds approximately 50,000 square feet to the existing store and will allow for a larger selection of merchandise for customers. New departments include fresh produce, bakery, deli and grocery.
"On behalf of the City of Darien we welcome and congratulate Walmart on its expanded Darien store,” said Mayor Kathleen Weaver. “The expanded store increases local jobs, improves local sales tax revenue and draws more customers to the community. Walmart continues to be an important part of our local business community."
One-Stop Shopping Convenience
The store features quality, value-priced general merchandise, including apparel, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and lawn and garden items. It also offers a full line of groceries, including organic and natural selections in addition to local favorites.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
More Store, More Jobs
The store employs approximately 300 full- and part-time associates, including approximately 80 positions created by the expansion. Store manager Eric Galle began his Walmart career in 2001 as a cart pusher in Joliet, Ill.
“The addition of the grocery items makes this Walmart Supercenter a true one-stop shop,” said Galle. “We know customers want to get everything in one place and this expansion allows for us to meet that need.”
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Darien community and is ready to celebrate with residents on Saturday, April 12. A Big Family Welcome will give customers a chance to meet Galle and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration from noon to 3 p.m.
Join the Conversation
invites Darien shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook and Twitter by using #MyNewWalmart. Visit the My
Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart2215.
Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store
events, meal solutions and more.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 2189 S. 75th St., Darien, Ill.
- Size: Approximately 173,000 square feet, including approximately 50,000 feet added by the expansion
- Store manager: Eric Galle
- Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Grand opening: Wednesday, April 9, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 8 a.m.
- Full line of groceries, including
- Fresh produce
- Organic/natural selections
- General merchandise categories include
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
- Household goods
- Convenience services include
- Tire & Lube
- Vision Center
- Digital-photo processing center
- Walmart Site-to-Store
- Number of jobs created: Approximately 300 jobs, including approximately 80 created by the expansion
- Full- and part-time positions
- Saturday, April 12 from noon to 3 p.m.
For more information
- Media contact: Betsy Sales, Serafin & Associates, 312-943-1955
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: www.corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com