Elvis Presley Home Bedding Collection and SKRIBS Customizable Wristbands take the top prize among thousands of entrants
SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Nov. 7, 2013 – Walmart announced today the two Grand Prize Winners of its popular Get on the Shelf contest, Elvis Presley Home Bedding Collection and SKRIBS Customizable Wristbands. As Grand Prize Winners, both products will be sold on Walmart.com and receive additional online marketing support. They will also be introduced to the Walmart Stores’ Merchandising team for store shelf consideration.
“Get on the Shelf has given American entrepreneurs and businesses the rare opportunity to showcase their product innovation to a broad set of new customers,” said Kelly Thompson, Senior Vice President of Merchandising for Walmart.com. “Through this exciting process, our customers have chosen items that we are excited to add to our online assortment at Walmart.com. Congratulations to both Grand Prize Winners who have demonstrated creativity, persistence and a true understanding of what America wants to see on the shelves at Walmart.”
Thousands of inventors, entrepreneurs and small businesses nationwide entered the contest with video submissions for products ranging from household wares and children’s toys to electronic gadgets and pet products. The top 20 finalists were featured in five weekly “webisodes,” and viewers around the country voted to narrow the field to a weekly webisode winner. Those five winning products were made available for pre-order on Walmart.com, with the highest number of pre-orders crowned the Grand Prize Winners. All five webisode winners are available online for pre-order at Walmart.com, including:
- Elvis Presley Home Bedding Collection (Grand Prize Winner Over $40) – Customers will soon be able to “Sleep like a King” with the Elvis Presley Home Bedding Collection. Created by David Bursteen, co-president of Legends Home Bedding in Los Angeles, the collection provides comfortable and stylish home bedding sets decorated with the King of Rock n Roll, Elvis Presley! As a life-long fan of Elvis, Bursteen says it was only natural that he and his partner would create the first-ever licensed bedding for adults using Elvis’ image. Available in Twin, Full/Queen, and King sets, starting at $79.95.
- SKRIBS Customizable Wristbands (Grand Prize Winner Under $40) - SKRIBS Customizable Wristbands were created by “Tumi” Oredein Jr., from Richmond, VA. A Master student at Virginia Commonwealth University in Product Innovation, he created the product in 2012 after thinking about how he loved to create on a moment’s notice. He believes his erasable wristband product gives children the creative opportunity to draw and express themselves at any time. Available in 3-packs for $8.95.
- BluTrack – Created by Randy Belding of Pella, IA, BluTrack is an open-ended, customizable toy track. “WE make the track, YOU make the fun!” The 18-Foot Starter Set is available for $34.00.
- Chemo Beanies – Created by Angele Albright of Covington, LA, Chemo Beanies provide comfortable and fashionable head covers for chemotherapy patients, or anyone experiencing sudden hair loss. Created by two sisters who survived breast cancer. Two designs available for $24.99 each.
- Gibi Pet Location Service – Created by Synette Tom of Menlo Park, CA, Gibi Pet Location Service is a GPS tracking device, enabling anyone to locate their pet at any time using their smart phone or computer. Gibi provides a better and easier way to find your lost pet. The unit comes with three months service included for $99.99.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our more than 10,800 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2013 sales of approximately $466 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.