Walmart Neighborhood Market brings smaller format, local fresh food favorites and employment opportunities to the community
HAWTHORNE, Calif., July 8 – Walmart will open a new Walmart Neighborhood Market on Wednesday, July 10, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The new store, approximately one-fifth the size of a Walmart Supercenter, is located at 14441 Inglewood Avenue at the intersection of West Rosecrans Avenue. It will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. The new store will provide local customers with a new, convenient option for their grocery shopping needs, including fresh produce and pharmacy services.
"I'm pleased to see that Walmart is coming into our city, creating jobs, and opening their doors in Hawthorne – we appreciate good corporate neighbors and look forward to a great partnership with them," said Mayor Danny Juarez. "The new Walmart Neighborhood Market hired about 65 people and will bring viable tax revenue to our city so we can enhance our public services."
Smaller Store, More Convenience
The Walmart Neighborhood Market format offers quick and convenient shopping, with a full grocery department, including organic and natural selections. The store features prepared food options, fresh-baked breads, self-serve deli and a bakery.
The pharmacy offers a full range of products and services. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
New Store, New Jobs
The new store employs about 65 full- and part-time associates. The first Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in 1998, and today there are approximately 250 Walmart Neighborhood Market stores nationwide.
Store manager Nathan Buck began his Walmart career in 2005 as a manager intern at a store in Johnstown, Pa.
"We are so excited to bring the Walmart Neighborhood Market concept to Hawthorne," said Buck. "We think customers will be pleased with our selection, as well as with the savings we offer on our full line of groceries and merchandise. On grand-opening day, we will be offering product samples and giveaways, and we invite everyone to stop in and see the new store."
A Big Family Welcome
Walmart is happy to be part of the Hawthorne community and is ready to continue the celebration with residents on Sunday, July 14th. On Sunday, Univision Radio and Walmart have partnered to bring customers "A Big Family Welcome," a chance to meet associates at the Hawthorne Neighborhood Market, and enjoy fun family activities such as face painting, balloon animals, music, dance contests, cupcake decorating and free food samples while supplies last. Join the celebration on Sunday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the store.
The grand-opening celebration includes presentations of up to $8,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local community groups, including:
- Billy Mitchell School – through Walmart's grant, the school will create a Fitness Club for students grades 3-5
- Hawthorne School District – Walmart grant will support an academy for parents of children at all grade levels with a series of age and developmentally appropriate workshops and support for transitions across grade levels.
- Hawthorne Navy Jr. ROTC – Walmart donation will be used toward a field trip to the USS Midway for instructional and educational purposes.
- Hawthorne Kiwanis – Grant supports a program that recognizes and supports students working toward their high school diplomas.
- South Bay Soccer Foundation – Grant will support youth development through team soccer by encouraging healthy eating, discipline, dedication and teamwork.
- Hawthorne Police Department – Walmart support will help start a program for children ages 8 and 9 to learn how to play the sport of Ice Hockey. The program will focus on leadership, honesty and sportsmanship and provide a stable environment for the kids to succeed.
- Wounded Heroes – With Walmart's donation, Wounded Heroes can continue to offer support and programs for veterans who suffered brain injuries, post-traumatic stress disorder, hypervigilance and anger management issues during stressful times of year, including the holidays.
Join the Conversation
Walmart invites Hawthorne shoppers to share their in-store experience on Facebook. Visit the My Local Walmart Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/walmart5604. Fans of the local page can receive information about rollbacks, in-store events, meal solutions and more.