Jan. 29, 2013 - The following statements reference the Walmart Foundation’s donation of $4.16 million to Goodwill Industries International, National Disability Institute and United Way Worldwide in support of the MyFreeTaxes Partnership, offering free federal and state tax preparation and filing services both online and in person to eligible Americans nationwide, along with Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) eligibility education. MyFreeTaxes online and in-person tax preparation and filing services have helped 4.5 million families claim nearly $6 billion in tax credits and refunds since 2009.
MyFreeTaxes launched today and is expected to help return an estimated $1.95 billion this year in total tax refunds, credits and tax preparation fee savings to qualified taxpayers.
“In this difficult economic climate, every dollar counts. Each year, millions of Americans pay hundreds of dollars to file their taxes, without knowing they may be eligible for free filing. In addition, millions of Americans may not receive their maximum tax refund because they aren’t aware of the tax credits for which they may be eligible. To help ease the financial burden of the tax preparation process and make sure individuals and families receive their full tax refund, the Walmart Foundation is pleased to partner with leading nonprofits to offer MyFreeTaxes, a completely free tax-filing service.”
--- Michelle Gilliard, Senior Director, Walmart Foundation
“Providing free tax preparation and filing assistance to eligible individuals and families nationwide is a way to bring people into the tax system and educate them about their rights and options. At the same time, we’re making a difference for taxpayers by helping them access vital tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Our relationship with our partners, including MyFreeTaxes, is a win for taxpayers.”
--- Peggy Bogadi, Commissioner, Wage & Investment Division,
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
MyFreeTaxes Background and Filing Details:
For eligible taxpayers earning $57,000 or less per year, the Walmart Foundation’s $4.16 million grant in support of the MyFreeTaxes Partnership will:
- Provide free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals;
- Offer eligible consumers two main ways to file:
- Online at www.MyFreeTaxes.com for individuals and families with combined incomes of $57,000 or less;
- In person in the local community at:
- 100 United Way and 28 Goodwill® led community-based Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) efforts for individuals and families with combined incomes of $50,000 or less;
- 10 National Disability Institute led American Job Center region (formerly One-Stop Career Centers) efforts across the country where on-site tax coaches will help individuals and families with incomes of $57,000 or less file for free using MyFreeTaxes.com;
- Expect to assist 210,000 people with disabilities to file their taxes for free and expand knowledge of EITC and other available tax credits by continuing to build the capacity of the MyFreeTaxes network to expand outreach to taxpayers with disabilities;
- Deliver phone and online assistance for taxpayers using MyFreeTaxes. Taxpayers can:
- Visit MyFreeTaxes.com to locate a free tax site near them or call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment;
- Call 1-855-My-Tx-Help for questions about MyFreeTaxes.com;
- Contact their local tax filing site or call 2-1-1 if they need an ADA accommodation to file their taxes in person;
- Use online chat available through MyFreeTaxes.com. Click on “contact us.”
MyFreeTaxes national and local partners offer free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance online with tax filing software provided by H&R Block® and in person at sites in local communities. MyFreeTaxes partners also provide taxpayers with eligibility information about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other tax credits to help them keep more of what they earn.
Key Data Points:
- Since 2009, MyFreeTaxes has helped more than 4.5 million families file free federal and state tax returns, resulting in nearly $6 billion in federal income tax refunds, nearly $1.5 billion in Earned Income Tax Credits and more than $913 million in tax preparer fee savings. MyFreeTaxes has also helped more than 610,000 taxpayers with disabilities file their returns.
- Of the 139 million U.S. taxpayers filing in 2011, 91 million reported adjusted gross incomes of $50,000 or less. Many of those taxpayers were eligible for a number of tax credits that often go unclaimed. In fact, 1 in 5 Americans is unaware they qualify for EITC. MyFreeTaxes is expected to help return more than $1.95 billion in total tax refunds, credits and tax preparation fee savings to eligible individuals and families nationwide.
About Philanthropy at Walmart
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are committed to helping people live better through philanthropic efforts. By operating globally and giving back locally, Walmart is uniquely positioned to address the needs of the communities it serves and make a significant social impact within its core areas of giving: Hunger Relief and Nutrition, Sustainability, Career Opportunity and Women’s Economic Empowerment. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are leading the fight against hunger in the United States with a $2 billion commitment through 2015. Walmart has donated more than 900 million meals to those in need across the country. To learn more about Walmart’s giving, visit foundation.walmart.com.
About United Way
United Way is a worldwide network in 41 countries and territories, including more than 1,200 local organizations in the U.S. It advances the common good, creating opportunities for a better life for all by focusing on the key building blocks of education, income and health. United Way recruits people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. LIVE UNITED® is a call to action for everyone to become a part of the change. For more information about United Way, please visit www.UnitedWay.org
About Goodwill Industries International
Goodwill Industries International is a network of 165 community-based agencies in the United States and Canada with 14 affiliates in 13 other countries. Goodwill is one of America's top 25 most inspiring companies (Forbes, 2012). Goodwill agencies are innovative and sustainable social enterprises that fund job training programs, employment placement services and other community-based programs by selling donated clothing and household items in more than 2,700 stores and online at shopgoodwill.com. Local Goodwill agencies also build revenue and create jobs by contracting with businesses and government to provide a wide range of commercial services, including packaging and assembly, food service preparation, and document imaging and shredding. In 2011, more than 4.2 million people in the United States and Canada benefited from Goodwill's career services. Goodwill channels 82 percent of its revenues directly into its programs and services. To find a Goodwill location near you, use the online locator at locator.goodwill.org, or call (800) GOODWILL. Follow us on Twitter: @GoodwillIntl or find us on Facebook: GoodwillIntl.
About National Disability Institute
National Disability Institute (NDI) is national non-profit organization dedicated to building a better economic future for people with disabilities. The first national organization committed exclusively to championing economic empowerment, financial education, asset development and financial stability for all persons with disabilities, National Disability Institute effects change through public education, policy development, training, technical assistance and innovative initiatives. Since 2005, National Disability Institute and its Real Economic Impact (REI) Network of more than 900 partners in more than 100 cities nationwide have helped 1.5 million people with disabilities receive more than $1.4 billion in tax refunds. To learn more, visit www.realeconomicimpact.org