New Walmart provides 300 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
HUNTSVILLE, Ala., Oct. 19, 2012 – Huntsville residents are invited to the new Walmart store that opens Friday, Oct. 26, at 8580 Highway 72 W. The grand opening is scheduled for 7:30 a.m., and the store will open to the public immediately following the grand-opening ceremony. The new store brings approximately 300 new jobs to the area and opportunities for savings for customers. It will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration at 7:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 26
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Friday, Oct. 26, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. The James Clemens High School Jr. ROTC and drumline will present the colors. Members of the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce will cut the ribbon.
Customers are encouraged to come to the store on grand-opening day to take advantage of a wide variety of grand-opening events and promotions. Events include product samplings and giveaways from Frito Lay and Pepsi, and character appearances by the Keebler Elf and Chester the Cheetah. All events are family-friendly, free and open to the public.
“We are proud to be opening during the year that Walmart celebrates the 50th anniversary of its first store opening,” said store manager Chloe Cromer. “We look forward to serving the people of our community, helping save them money so they can live better.”
Customer Convenience and Wide Product Selection
By combining general merchandise and a full line of groceries in one convenient location, the store offers Huntsville shoppers the convenience of one-stop shopping close to home.
The new store features a wide assortment of quality, value-priced merchandise, including:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
The grocery area will include a wide selection of fresh produce, including a variety of organic products. Other features include a full bakery, meat and dairy products, dry goods and staples, beverages, a deli, frozen foods, canned and packaged goods, baking items, household supplies, and beer and wine. For added convenience, the store will also offer an expanded electronics department.
The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services to support the health and wellness of customers and their families. The pharmacy team can answer questions, offer health and wellness solutions, and assist customers who wish to transfer their prescriptions to Walmart.
This store features many energy-saving elements, part of Walmart’s overall efforts to reduce the total amount of energy used in stores and other operations. These features include LED lights in signage, freezer cases and the parking lot. This technology uses about 50 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the James Clemens High School Band, Boys and Girls Scout Clubs of North Alabama, Huntsville Library, Early Works Society and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Healthier Food and “Great For You”
Walmart made a major commitment to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable, ensuring families won’t have to choose between a product that is good for them and one they can afford. Steps in the healthier food initiative include:
- Reformulate thousands of packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium and added sugars and removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
- Make healthier choices more affordable by providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on “better-for-you” items.
- Provide solutions to address food deserts by bringing stores in underserved communities.
- Increase charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
The “Great For You” icon appears on select Great Value and Marketside products as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables. The icon was developed to help customers easily identify nutritious food options so they can make healthier eating choices for themselves and their families. For more information, visit corporate.walmart.com/healthier-food.
Walmart.com services will be available at the store’s entrance. In addition to a digital-photo processing lab, the store will also offer two services for customers who shop online. Site-to-Store is a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup. Pick Up Today is a free service that allows customers to order store items online and pick them up at their local Walmart store that same day (or the next day if items are ordered after 6 p.m. local time).
Pay With Cash
All Walmart stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets participate in the “Pay With Cash” program. This allows customers to order online at Walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Economic Impact Includes Approximately 300 New Jobs
The new Huntsville Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to Cromer. The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Alabama is approximately $12.27 per hour.* Eligible full-time and part-time associates at Walmart are able to take advantage of many employment benefits, including a wide variety of health care plans, 401(k) participation, discounts, membership at Sam’s Club and the opportunity to purchase stock. Nearly 75 percent of the company’s managers began their Walmart careers as hourly associates.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom . Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com .
- Location: 8580 Highway 72 W., Huntsville, Ala.
- 184,000-square-foot Walmart
- Doors to the store will open following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony, Friday, Oct. 26
- Store manager: Chloe Cromer
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery with an ice cream cake case, a deli serving fresh food, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, a fabric department, and health and beauty aids
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and a digital-photo processing center
- Leased areas include a SmartStyle Family Hair Salon, a Subway restaurant and a Woodforest National Bank branch
- Grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the following area organizations
- Huntsville Library
- James Clemens High School Band
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of North Alabama
- Early Works Society
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Alabama is approximately $12.27 per hour *
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See corporate.walmart.com for details.