New Walmart provides 300 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
DENTON, Md., Oct. 16, 2012 – Residents of Denton are invited to the new Walmart store, which opens Friday, Oct. 26, at 610 Legion Road. The grand opening is scheduled for 7 a.m., and the store will open to the public immediately following the grand-opening ceremony. Conveniently located off Route 404, the new store brings approximately 300 new jobs to the area and opportunities for savings for customers. It will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
“I feel the greatest benefit to the town is the creation of local jobs and the associated economic benefits,” said Denton Mayor Dennis Porter. “Local jobs drive the local economy. The increased available income and the availability of local shopping should also increase the local economy for the town's small businesses and shops. With the increased availability of reasonably priced goods, more money should be spent locally instead of outside our county and/or state. It’s local jobs without a long commute. It's increased economic activity all over town. It's availability of goods at a reasonable price 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And the staff has been interacting with the local community in a very positive way, both attending local events and having meet-and-greets with the local citizens.”
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration at 7 a.m., Friday, Oct. 26
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7 a.m., Friday, Oct. 26, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. The Denton National Guard will present the colors, and representatives from the Denton Chamber of Commerce and the Denton Town Council will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Customers are encouraged to come to the store on grand-opening day to take advantage of a wide variety of events and promotions. The grand-opening day celebration events include product samplings and giveaways from Pepsi, Keebler, Nabisco, Frito Lay and Coca-Cola, and a character appearance by Chester the Cheetah. All events are family-friendly, free and open to the public.
“We are proud to be opening during the year that Walmart celebrates the 50th anniversary of its first store opening,” said store manager Bill Duffy. “We look forward to serving the people of our community, helping save them money so they can live better.”
Customer Convenience and Wide Product Selection
By combining general merchandise and a full line of groceries in one convenient location, the store offers Denton shoppers the convenience of one-stop shopping close to home.
The new store features a wide assortment of quality, value-priced merchandise, including:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
The grocery area will include a wide selection of fresh produce, including a variety of organic products. Other features include a full bakery, meat and dairy products, dry goods and staples, beverages, a deli, frozen foods, canned and packaged goods, baking items and household supplies. For added convenience, the store will also offer a pharmacy, vision center and garden center.
The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services to support the health and wellness of customers and their families. The pharmacy team can answer questions and offer health and wellness solutions. They can also assist customers who wish to transfer their prescriptions to Walmart. The pharmacy is conveniently located at the front of the store near general merchandise.
This store features many energy-saving elements, part of Walmart’s overall efforts to reduce the total amount of energy used in stores and other operations. These features include LED lights in signage, freezer cases and the parking lot. This technology uses about 50 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $13,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local organizations at the preview night Thursday, Oct. 25. Organizations receiving grants include North Caroline High School Drama Club, Colonel Richardson High School Band, Denton Elementary School, Denton Volunteer Fire Company, Rebuilding Together Caroline County, Lockerman Middle School and Caroline Cougars.
Healthier Food and “Great For You”
Walmart made a major commitment to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable, ensuring families won’t have to choose between a product that is good for them and one they can afford. Steps in the healthier food initiative include:
- Reformulate thousands of packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium and added sugars and removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
- Make healthier choices more affordable by providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on “better-for-you” items.
- Provide solutions to address food deserts by bringing stores in underserved communities.
- Increase charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
The “Great For You” icon appears on select Great Value and Marketside products as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables. The icon was developed to help customers easily identify nutritious food options so they can make healthier eating choices for themselves and their families. For more information, visit corporate.walmart.com/healthier-food.
Walmart.com services will be available at the store’s entrance. In addition to a digital-photo processing lab, the store will also offer two services for customers who shop online. Site-to-Store is a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup. Pick Up Today is a free service that allows customers to order store items online and pick them up at their local Walmart store that same day (or the next day if items are ordered after 6 p.m. local time).
Pay With Cash
All Walmart stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets participate in the “Pay With Cash” program. This allows customers to order online at Walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Economic Impact Includes Approximately 300 New Jobs
The new Denton Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to Duffy. The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Maryland is approximately $11.86 per hour.* Eligible full- and part-time associates at Walmart are able to take advantage of many employment benefits, including a wide variety of health care plans, 401(k) participation, discounts, membership at Sam’s Club and the opportunity to purchase stock. Nearly 75 percent of the company’s managers began their Walmart careers as hourly associates.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom . Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com .
- Location: 610 Legion Road, Denton, Md.
- 149,000-square-foot Walmart
- Doors to the store will open immediately following a 7 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony, Friday, Oct. 26
- Store manager: Bill Duffy
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, and health and beauty aids
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital-photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas include a Subway restaurant and SmartStyle Hair Salon
- $13,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to area organizations
- North Caroline High School Drama Club - $3,000
- Colonel Richardson High School Band - $2,500
- Denton Elementary School - $2,000
- Denton Volunteer Fire Company - $2,000
- Rebuilding Together Caroline County - $2,000
- Lockerman Middle School - $1,000
- Caroline Cougars - $500
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Maryland is approximately $11.86 per hour *
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See http://corporate.walmart.com for details.
For more information
- Media contact: Stephanie Austin, Mitchell Communications Group, 860-830-7608
- Walmart Media Relations: 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: http://corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com