Store replaces vacant grocery building and provides approximately 85 new jobs
SAN RAMON, Calif., Sept. 14, 2012 – San Ramon’s Walmart Neighborhood Market will open Wednesday, Sept. 19, providing residents a convenient location to shop for all their grocery needs, including fresh produce. The store is located at 9100 Alcosta Blvd., in the grocery space vacant since 2010, at the Country Club Village Shopping Center, and is the first Neighborhood Market to open in the Bay Area.
“We are pleased to serve the City of San Ramon by being an involved partner, and offering a convenient, affordable, grocery store option for the community,” said store manager Baltazar Garcia. “This is truly going to be their Neighborhood Market, and it’s exciting.”
“We welcome Walmart to San Ramon and are pleased that the Neighborhood Market will occupy the vacant anchor space in the Country Club Village Center,” said Stewart Bambino, president of the San Ramon Chamber of Commerce. "We look forward to working closely with Walmart to enhance our community."
New Store Features
Walmart first opened Walmart Neighborhood Markets in 1998, and now operates approximately 200 stores across the country. The smaller store format is designed to provide quick and convenient shopping for groceries, pharmacy items and general merchandise.
The 50,000-square-foot San Ramon store, which will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, will feature a self-serve deli, a self-serve bakery, including a cake case, a wide variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, as well as meats, cheeses and prepared foods. In addition to the fresh produce and bakery items, the store will carry a full line of groceries, including frozen foods, meat and dairy products, gluten-free and organic items. The store will also offer a large number of Hispanic items.
Shoppers will also appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include baby supplies, household items, stationery, paper goods, pet products, hardware items and a Celebration Station, where customers can buy gift wrap and gift bags, greeting cards and party supplies. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the store.
The store will offer Site-to-Store, a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup.
All Walmart stores and Neighborhood Markets participate in the Pay with Cash program. This allows customers to order online at www.walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Store Opening Creates Approximately 85 Jobs
Approximately 85 part- and full-time jobs were created by the store’s opening. Interested applicants can still apply online at http://careers.walmart.com.
Garcia started his Walmart career 10 years ago as an overnight stocker while attending California State University Stanislaus. He spent two years with Walmart while he finished his Bachelors of Science Degree in International Business and Human Resource Management. Garcia has worked in various management positions at several stores in northern California, including Pleasanton, Tracy, Livermore, Union City, Stockton, San Jose and now San Ramon.
The pharmacy manager is Parisa Farsa. Farsa has lived in San Ramon for 12 years and began her Walmart career in 2010.
Last year, Walmart promoted more than 161,000 hourly associates, and nearly 75 percent of store management teams started out in hourly positions.
Community Groups Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of the grand-opening celebration, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will present grants to local community groups. Additional funds will be available throughout the year for local organizations that serve the community and impact causes Walmart customers care about. Interested groups can visit http://foundation.walmart.com for more information.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 19
Store associates will host a grand-opening celebration at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19. Store associates and local dignitaries will participate in a brief ceremony and ribbon cutting after which doors to the new store will be opened to the public.
Throughout grand-opening day, members of the San Ramon community are invited to come by the store to enjoy product samplings, giveaways from companies such as Pepsi, Sarah Lee, Nabisco, Dr. Pepper, Coke, Kellogg’s, Frito Lay and Bimbo. The day will also include various entertainment events. All events are family friendly, free and open to the public.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
San Ramon Neighborhood Market
- Location: 9100 Alcosta Blvd., San Ramon, Calif.
- 50,000-square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store opens Wednesday, Sept. 19, immediately following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Baltazar Garcia
- Store hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, self-serve deli, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, frozen foods and organic items
- Additional merchandise includes health and beauty aids, baby items, household products, pet and cleaning products, hardware and stationery
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital-photo processing center, Walmart Site-to-Store and Pay With Cash
- Grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local organizations to celebrate the grand opening.
- Store will employ approximately 85 associates.
- Store manager Baltazar Garcia began his Walmart career as an overnight stocker in 2002, at the Walmart store in Pleasanton while attending California State University Stanislaus.
- Nearly 75 percent of Walmart store management teams began their careers as hourly associates.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in California is approximately $12.82 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See www.corporate.walmart.com for details.