Store brings more than 85 new jobs and new store format to Alpharetta
ALPHARETTA, Ga., Sept. 14, 2012 – Walmart’s newest Walmart Neighborhood Market will open Wednesday, Sept. 19, providing Alpharetta residents a convenient location to pick up all their grocery needs, including fresh produce. Located at 11770 Haynes Bridge Road, the store occupies a former Winn-Dixie location in the Alpharetta Crossing Shopping Center. The new store is the third Walmart Neighborhood Market to open in Georgia.
“That Walmart chose to come to Alpharetta with a Walmart Neighborhood Market speaks to the vibrancy of our community and the resilience of the local economy,” said Belle Isle, Alpharetta mayor.
New Store Features
The first Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in 1998 in Bentonville, Ark. The store format is designed to provide quick and convenient shopping for groceries, pharmacy items and general merchandise. The Alpharetta store will bring the total number of Walmart Neighborhood Market stores to nearly 200.
The 46,000-square-foot Alpharetta store features a self-serve deli with pre-packaged foods, a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as meats, cheeses and prepared foods. In addition to fresh produce, including Georgia peaches, watermelons and strawberries, the store will carry a full line of groceries, including frozen foods, meat and dairy products and organic items. The Alpharetta Walmart Neighborhood Market will offer an expanded selection of general merchandise including beer and wine, baby items, storage containers and items for the home
Shoppers will also appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include stationery, paper goods, pet products, hardware items and a Celebration Station, where customers can buy gift wrap and gift bags, greeting cards and party supplies. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the store, which will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
All Walmart stores and Neighborhood Markets participate in the Pay with Cash program. This allows customers to order online at www.walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Community Groups Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of the grand-opening celebration, $8,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local community groups. Additional funds will be available throughout the year for local organizations that serve the community. Interested groups can visit foundation.walmart.com for more information.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 19
The store will host a grand-opening celebration at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19. Store associates and local dignitaries will participate in a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Doors to the new store will be opened to the public at 8 a.m. Special events on grand-opening day, and continuing through the weekend, include character appearances, product giveaways and samplings, and other events.
Opening Creates Approximately 85 Jobs
Approximately 85 part- and full-time jobs were created by the store’s opening. Store manager Jikovey McCurdy, an Alabama native, relocated to Georgia to become manager at this store in Alpharetta. He began his career as an hourly associate at a store in Anniston, Ala.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Alpharetta Neighborhood Market
- Location: 11770 Haynes Bridge Road
- 46,000-square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19, following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Jikovey McCurdy
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, pre-packaged deli, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, frozen foods, beer and wine, and organic items
- Additional merchandise includes health and beauty aids, pet and cleaning products, hardware and stationery.
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital-photo processing center, Walmart Site-to-Store and Pay With Cash.
- $8,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations
- Store will employ approximately 85 associates
- Nearly 75 percent of Walmart store management teams began their careers as hourly associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Georgia is approximately $12.58 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See corporate.walmart.com for details.
For more information
- Store manager: Jikovey McCurdy
- Media contact: Erin Rogers, Mitchell Communications Group, 479-595-3366 (Statements and quotes on behalf of Walmart should not be obtained from or attributed to agency employees.)
- Walmart Media Relations: 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com