Store brings new concept, 90 new jobs and local favorites to community
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., Sept. 12, 2012 – Walmart will open a new Walmart Neighborhood Market on Wednesday, Sept. 19. The new store, located at 11001 Menaul Blvd. N.E., will provide residents of Albuquerque with a convenient location to pick up all their grocery needs, including fresh produce.
Walmart Neighborhood Market Format
The first Neighborhood Market opened in 1998, and today there are approximately 200 Neighborhood Market stores nationwide. The stores offer quick and convenient shopping for groceries, pharmacy items and general merchandise.
New Albuquerque Store
The new store is tailored for the Albuquerque community, featuring a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, fresh cakes and breads, as well as meats, cheeses and prepared foods. The deli will feature a Grab-and-Go section with rotisserie chicken, fresh-baked pizza and standard deli sides. In addition to the fresh produce, bakery and deli items, the store will carry a full line of groceries including frozen foods, meat and dairy products, and organic items.
Shoppers will also appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include stationery, paper goods, pet products and hardware items. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the store. The store will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The store will offer Site-to-Store a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup.
All Walmart stores and Neighborhood Markets participate in the Pay with Cash program. This allows customers to order online at Walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
This store features many energy-saving elements, part of Walmart’s overall efforts to reduce the total amount of energy used in stores and other operations. These features include LED lights in signage, freezer cases and the parking lot. This technology uses about 50 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
Opening Creates 90 Jobs
Approximately 90 part- and full-time jobs will be created with the new store opening. Store manager Vera Lujan will manage the new Albuquerque store. Lujan, an Albuquerque native, began her Walmart career in 1999 as an overnight associate at an Albuquerque store.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration at 7:30 a.m., Sept. 19
The store will host a grand-opening celebration at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19. Store associates and local dignitaries will participate in a brief ceremony, followed by a ribbon-cutting where the doors to the new store will be opened to the public.
Throughout grand-opening day, members of the Albuquerque community are invited to come by the store to enjoy product samplings, giveaways and various entertainment events.
Healthier Food and “Great For You”
Walmart made a major commitment to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable, ensuring families won’t have to choose between a product that is good for them and one they can afford. Steps in the healthier food initiative include:
- Reformulate thousands of packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium and added sugars and removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
- Make healthier choices more affordable by providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on “better-for-you” items.
- Provide solutions to address food deserts by bringing stores in underserved communities.
- Increase charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
The “Great For You” icon appears on select Great Value and Marketside products as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables. The icon was developed to help customers easily identify nutritious food options so they can make healthier eating choices for themselves and their families. For more information, visit corporate.walmart.com/healthier-food.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Albuquerque Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Location: 11001 Menaul Blvd. N.E., Albuquerque, N.M.
- 35,000-square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19, following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Vera Lujan
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, frozen foods and organic items.
- Additional merchandise includes health and beauty aids, pet and cleaning products, hardware and stationery.
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital-photo processing center and Walmart Site-to-Store.
- Store will employ approximately 90 associates, including one associate who has worked for Walmart for more than 25 years.
- Store manager Vera Lujan began her Walmart career as an hourly associate in 1999 at a store in Albuquerque. Nearly 75 percent of Walmart store management teams began their careers as hourly associates.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in New Mexico is approximately $12.61 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See corporate.walmart.com for details.