Walmart provides 80 new jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
DERRY, N.H., Sept. 5, 2012 – Residents of Derry are invited to the relocated Walmart store, which opens Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 11 Ashleigh Drive. The grand opening is scheduled for 8 a.m., and the store will open to the public immediately following the ceremony. The relocated store brings approximately 80 new jobs to the area and opportunities for savings for customers. It will be open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week.
“We look forward to building on the excellent working relationship we have had over the last 20 years with Walmart and its current manager Cory Skinner, and appreciate all that Walmart continues to do to support the needs of our community through its charitable giving,” said John Anderson, Derry town administrator.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 12
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 12, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Store Associate Chun Deschamp will perform the national anthem and three store associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in 1992 will cut the ribbon to the new store. The 55 associates who have worked at Walmart for 10 years or longer will be recognized. The American Legion will present the colors.
Customers are encouraged to come to the store on grand-opening day to take advantage of a wide variety of events and promotions. The grand-opening day celebration events include product samplings and giveaways from Frito-Lay, Coca-Cola and Pepsi and character appearances by Chester Cheeto and Goldfish. Other activities include face painting, games and New England Patriots football festivities. All events are family-friendly, free and open to the public.
“We are proud to be opening during the year that Walmart celebrates the 50th anniversary of the first store opening,” said Skinner. “We look forward to serving the people of our community, helping save people money so they can live better.”
Customer Convenience and Wide Product Selection
By combining general merchandise and a full line of groceries in one convenient location, the store offers Derry shoppers the convenience of one-stop shopping close to home.
The new store features a wide assortment of quality, value-priced merchandise, including:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
The grocery area will include a wide selection of fresh produce, including Lancaster Produce. Other features include a full bakery, meat and dairy products, dry goods and staples, beverages, a deli, frozen foods, canned and packaged goods, baking items and household supplies. For added convenience, the store will also offer a vision center and Walmart Connect Center.
The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services to support the health and wellness of customers and their families. The pharmacy team can answer questions, offer health and wellness solutions, and assist customers who wish to transfer their prescriptions to Walmart. The pharmacy is conveniently located at the front of the store next to the Walmart.com services department.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $2,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the local police and fire departments, Derry Humane Society and Sonshine Soup Kitchen.
Healthier Food and “Great For You”
Walmart made a major commitment to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable, ensuring families won’t have to choose between a product that is good for them and one they can afford. Steps in the healthier food initiative include:
- Reformulate thousands of packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium and added sugars and removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
- Make healthier choices more affordable by providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on “better-for-you” items.
- Provide solutions to address food deserts by bringing stores to underserved communities.
- Increase charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
The “Great For You” icon appears on select Great Value and Marketside products as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables. The icon was developed to help customers easily identify nutritious food options so they can make healthier eating choices for themselves and their families. For more information, visit corporate.walmart.com/healthier-food.
Economic Impact Includes Approximately 80 New Jobs
The new Derry Walmart will employ approximately 280 associates, including approximately 80 new jobs created by the relocation, according to Skinner. More than 55 of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, including three associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in 1992. The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in New Hampshire is approximately $13.62 per hour.* Eligible full-time and part-time associates at Walmart are able to take advantage of many employment benefits, including a wide variety of health care plans, 401(k) participation, discounts, membership at Sam’s Club and the opportunity to purchase stock. More than three-fourths of the company’s managers began their Walmart careers as hourly associates.
This store features many energy-saving elements, part of Walmart’s overall efforts to reduce the total amount of energy used in stores and other operations. These features include LED lights in signage, freezer cases and the parking lot. This technology uses about 50 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
LED parking lot lights are more directional than traditional parking lot lights, allowing Walmart to better focus light on its parking lots and not surrounding areas, reducing wasted light and limiting glare. These lights are expected to reduce energy needs in the lot by more than 50 percent and maintenance costs by more than 30 percent, compared to traditional parking lot lights. Walmart’s in-store skylights (daylight harvesting system) cuts energy use by about 800,000 kWh on average per store per year, enough to power 62 average American homes for a year.
Other efficiency technologies that Walmart utilizes include its Energy Management System, which monitors HVAC and lighting for all stores in the U.S., active dehumidification, which allows refrigeration system to work more efficiently and white roofs which helps reduce building energy consumption. Over 94 percent of waste materials generated during construction were either recycled or reused.
“The store is a beautiful building with a pleasing design distinctive to Derry,” said Skinner. In addition to the new layout and environmentally friendly features, the exterior facade of the store utilizes local granite in keeping with the Derry community aesthetics.
Walmart.com services will be available at the store’s entrance. In addition to a digital-photo processing lab, the store will also offer two services for customers who shop online. Site-to-Store is a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup. Pick Up Today is a free service that allows customers to order store items online and pick them up at their local Walmart store that same day (or the next day if items are ordered after 6 p.m. local time).
Pay With Cash
All Walmart stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets participate in the “Pay With Cash” program. This allows customers to order online at Walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Store manager Cory Skinner is available for interviews and to arrange photo opportunities or tours.
- An invitation-only open house for grant recipients and other VIPs is scheduled at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11. It will include a preview tour. Reporters and photographers are welcome.
- Media Contact: Jim McManus, Slowey/McManus Communications, 617-523-0038 (Statements and quotes on behalf of Walmart should not be obtained from or attributed to agency employees.)
- Walmart Media Relations, 800-331-0085
- Walmart information online: corporate.walmart.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com
- Location: 11 Ashleigh Drive, Derry, N.H.
- Formerly located at 30 Manchester Road
- 160,000-square-foot Walmart
- Doors to the store will open immediately following an 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, Sept. 12
- Store manager: Cory Skinner
- Store hours: Open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and beer and wine.
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, fabric and crafts, and health and beauty aids
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital-photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas include a Subway restaurant
- $2,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation
- Derry Police Department
- Derry Fire Department
- Derry Humane Society
- Sonshine Soup Kitchen
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in New Hampshire is approximately $13.62 per hour *
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See corporate.walmart.com for details.