Remodeled store adds 85 jobs, plus more convenience for local shoppers
LAKE FOREST, Calif., Sept. 5, 2012 – Residents of Foothill Ranch are invited to the newly expanded Walmart store, which opens Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 26502 Towne Centre Drive. The grand-opening ceremony is scheduled for 8 a.m. The expanded store will bring more opportunities for savings for customers and will employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new jobs created by the expansion. It will be open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
“We are thrilled that Walmart is further investing in our community by adding groceries to its Foothill Ranch store,” said Lake Forest Mayor Kathryn McCullough. “Our residents will now have more shopping choices, and our city will benefit from the increased business activity at Walmart, including the creation of 85 new jobs, and surrounding businesses. The addition of groceries to the Walmart store is truly a win-win for the community.”
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 12
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 12, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Customers are encouraged to come to the store to take advantage of a wide variety of grand-opening events and promotions. The celebration events include product samplings and giveaways from several well-known brands, and appearances by numerous characters such as the Coca-Cola Polar Bear. The grand-opening celebration will continue Saturday, Sept. 15. All events are family-friendly, free and open to the public.
“We are proud to be celebrating our newly expanded store during the year that Walmart celebrates its 50th anniversary of the first store opening,” said store manager Gail Bell. “We are committed to continue the tradition that Walmart was founded on, which is everyday low prices. We look forward to serving the people of our community, helping save them money so they can live better.”
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, more than $25,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local organizations at the grand-opening event. Store associates will present the Children’s Hospital of Orange County with a $15,800 grant. The Arthritis Foundation of Orange County will receive a $4,250 grant, and the California Congress of Parents, Teachers and Students Inc. will receive a $5,000 donation.
In addition, store leaders will distribute $10,000 in grants to several other local organizations in the coming weeks.
Customer Convenience and Wide Product Selection
By combining general merchandise and a full line of groceries in one convenient location, the store offers Foothill Ranch shoppers the convenience of one-stop shopping close to home.
The new store features a wide assortment of quality, value priced merchandise, including:
- Family apparel
- Health and beauty aids
- Lawn and garden items
- Automotive products
- Home furnishings
- Sporting goods
- Pet supplies
The grocery area will include a wide selection of fresh produce, including a variety of organic products. Other features include a full bakery, meat and dairy products, dry goods and staples, beverages, a deli, frozen foods, canned and packaged goods, baking items and household supplies. For added convenience, the store will also offer a vision center, a digital photo processing center, a Tire & Lube Express and a Walmart Connect Center.
The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services to support the health and wellness of customers and their families. The pharmacy team can answer questions and offer health and wellness solutions. They can also assist customers who wish to transfer their prescriptions to Walmart. The pharmacy is conveniently located at the front of the store.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
This store features many energy-saving elements, part of Walmart’s overall efforts to reduce the total amount of energy used in stores and other operations. These features include LED lights in signage, freezer cases and the parking lot. This technology uses about 50 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
Healthier Food and “Great For You”
Walmart made a major commitment to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable, ensuring families won’t have to choose between a product that is good for them and one they can afford. Steps in the healthier food initiative include:
- Reformulate thousands of packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium and added sugars and removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
- Make healthier choices more affordable by providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on “better-for-you” items.
- Provide solutions to address food deserts by bringing stores in underserved communities.
- Increase charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
The “Great For You” icon appears on select Great Value and Marketside products as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables. The icon was developed to help customers easily identify nutritious food options so they can make healthier eating choices for themselves and their families. For more information, visit corporate.walmart.com/healthier-food.
Walmart.com services will be available at rear of the store. In addition to a digital-photo processing lab, the store will also offer two services for customers who shop online. Site-to-Store is a free service that allows customers to ship online orders from www.walmart.com free to any Walmart store for pickup. Pick Up Today is a free service that allows customers to order store items online and pick them up at their local Walmart store that same day (or the next day if items are ordered after 6 p.m. local time).
Pay With Cash
All Walmart stores and Walmart Neighborhood Markets participate in the “Pay With Cash” program. This allows customers to order at Walmart.com and pay for the items with cash at all stores in the U.S. Walmart is the first major retailer to offer online purchases without the need for banking services or a credit, debit or prepaid card.
Economic Impact Includes Approximately 85 New Jobs
The newly expanded Foothill Ranch Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new jobs created by the expansion, according to Bell. The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in California is approximately $12.82 per hour.* Eligible full-time and part-time associates at Walmart are able to take advantage of many employment benefits, including a wide variety of health care plans, 401(k) participation, discounts, membership at Sam’s Club and the opportunity to purchase stock. More than three-fourths of the company’s managers began their Walmart careers as hourly associates.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,300 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Foothill Ranch Walmart
- Location: 26502 Towne Centre Drive, Foothill Ranch, Calif.
- 175,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining 48,000 additional square feet
- 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, Sept. 12
- Store manager: Gail Bell
- Open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and full liquor sales
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, and health and beauty aids
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center, Walmart Connect Center and vision center
- Leased areas include Subway restaurant and ISIS by Regal Nails Salon
- More than $25,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations
- Children’s Hospital of Orange County - $15,800
- The Arthritis Foundation of Orange County - $4,250
- California Congress of Parents, Teachers and Students Inc.- $5,000
- An additional $10,000 in grants will be presented to local organizations in the coming weeks.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in California is approximately $12.82 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken July 2012. See corporate.walmart.com for details.