New Walmart provides 300 jobs
LOWER OXFORD, Pa., Aug. 15, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month at Oxford Crossings Shopping Center, bringing 300 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 800 Commons Drive, will be open to customers at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15.
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
The new Oxford Crossings Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to store manager Anthony Smith. Four of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years. Smith began his Walmart career in 2000 as an overnight stocker in New Castle, Del.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Oxford Crossings Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Smith. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Oxford Crossings Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7 a.m., Aug. 15
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Store associates and Smith will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Oxford Crossings Walmart
- Location: 800 Commons Drive, Oxford, Pa.
- 185,024-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15, following a 7 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Anthony Smith
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and a Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a SmartStyle Family Hair Salon and a Subway restaurant
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Pennsylvania is approximately $12.42 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.