Expanded store adds full line of groceries and 85 new jobs
NORTH OXFORD, Mass., Aug. 15, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in North Oxford eager to see their Walmart at 742 Main St. bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 85 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base, and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Danny Eshoo. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The North Oxford Walmart features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Eshoo. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
Expanded Walmart Adds 85 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including approximately 85 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Eshoo said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The North Oxford Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $4,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The Oxford Fire/EMS Department and Oxford Police Department will each receive $2,000 to support programs that serve the community.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
North Oxford Walmart
- Location: 742 Main St., North Oxford, Mass.
- 143,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 10,000 square feet
- Expansion unveiled at 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 8 a.m.
- Store manager: Danny Eshoo
- Open 6 a.m.-midnight, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Subway restaurant
- $4,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Oxford Fire/EMS Department
- Oxford Police Department
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new positions created by the expansion
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Massachusetts is approximately $13.45 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.