New store offers big savings with grocery format
GRESHAM, Ore., Aug. 1, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in Gresham eager to see their new Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3900 W. Powell Blvd. The store is designed to offer quick access to low-cost groceries, prescriptions and household products and will be unveiled to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday,
Aug. 1, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We think they’ll love the easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need”, said store manager Shane McNeil. “The low prices on necessities are important in these tough economic times, and the new jobs created are a welcome addition to the area.”
Store Provides Local Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 80 associates. Several associates have transferred to the new store from existing Walmart locations, including approximately five who have worked for the company for more than 10 years.
“Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” McNeil said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Gresham store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. LED lighting throughout the store, as well as in the parking lot, operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. Lower shelving throughout the store creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. Recipients include My Fathers House, Gresham Police Department, the Gresham Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Centennial School District.
“I am excited to say that we are extremely happy with the present and future of our partnership, and am looking forward to continued opportunities to work together” stated Kevin Ricker, Centennial High School principal.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 8 a.m., Aug. 1
The Gresham Chamber of Commerce will join Walmart associates at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Pastor Steve Parrish will offer an invocation, and the Centennial High School Choir will perform the national anthem. The Gresham VFW, lead by Commander Val G. Shaoll, will present the colors.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Gresham Neighborhood Walmart
- Location: 3900 W. Powell Blvd., Gresham, Ore.
- 39,500 square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Store opens Wednesday, Aug. 1, following an 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Shane McNeil
- Open 5 a.m. to 1 a.m., seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a self service deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and a liquor department including chilled beer and wine
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and a digital photo processing kiosk
- Store plans to employ approximately 80 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Oregon is approximately $12.99 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.