Expanded store adds 80 new jobs
AKRON, Ohio, July 25, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in Akron eager to see their Walmart at 2887 S. Arlington Road bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The newly expanded Walmart is designed to make shopping easier for customers and brings 80 new jobs to the community. The store will be unveiled to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Tammy Spradlin. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Akron Walmart features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements feature faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Spradlin. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
Expanded Walmart Adds 80 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including approximately 80 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Spradlin said. “I am proud to work for this company, where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.” Spradlin started her Walmart career in 1999 as an hourly associate in Hermitage, Pa.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $5,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Aug. 1
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 2887 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio
- 156,575-square-foot Walmart, adding an additional 25,000 square feet
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Tammy Spradlin
- Open 24 hours, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and digital photo processing center
- Leased areas and services include a Subway Restaurant
- $5,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including approximately 80 positions added by the expansion
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Ohio is approximately $12.45 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.