Newly relocated Walmart provides 80 new jobs
ROCHESTER, Ind., July 10, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Rochester, bringing approximately 80 new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. The Walmart, located at 2395 Main St., will open to customers following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon cutting on Wednesday, July 18.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Rochester Walmart.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Bambi Martin. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Walmart also moved the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Approximately 80 new jobs were created as a result of the relocation. Ten associates have worked at the store since its original opening in 1991.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Rochester Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., July 18
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 18, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 2395 Main St., Rochester, Ind.
- Formerly located at 2100 Peace Tree Village, Rochester, Ind.
- 90,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining, 19,000 additional square feet
- Store opens Wednesday, July 18, following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Bambi Martin
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including baked goods, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and full liquor department
- Departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, health and beauty aids, and an electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and digital photo processing center
- Store plans to employ approximately 180 associates, including 80 new positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Indiana is approximately $12.33 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on the company performance
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.