Expanded store adds full line of groceries and 85 new jobs
HAMPSTEAD, Md., July 5, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in Hampstead eager to see their Walmart at 3220 N. Hanover Pike bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 85 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 11, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Teresa Vaughn. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Hampstead Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Vaughn. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
Expanded Walmart Adds 85 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 290 associates, including approximately 85 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Vaughn said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Hampstead store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting throughout the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Part of the cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $10,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 3220 N. Hanover Pike, Hampstead, Md.
- 165,575-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 62,575-square-feet
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 11, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Teresa Vaughn
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Dunkin’ Donuts and Farmer’s Merchants Bank
- $10,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation
- Store plans to employ approximately 290 associates, including approximately 85 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Maryland is approximately $11.87 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.