Expanded stores add full line of groceries and 170 new jobs
BALTIMORE, Md., June 5, 2012 – The wait is over for Rosedale and Nottingham residents eager to see their Walmart stores bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart stores, located at at 6420 Petrie Way in Rosedale and 8118 Perry Hills Court in Nottingham, are designed to make shopping easy for customers. Each store will unveil its expansion to customers on Wednesday, June 13 following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. The Rosedale store ribbon-cutting ceremony will begin at 7:30 a.m. and the Nottingham store will have its ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9 a.m.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original openings,” said Scott Bonsall, store manager of the Rosedale store. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the stores and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The stores also feature a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendly shopping experience and cleaner stores.
The expanded stores feature wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
Expanded Walmarts Add 170 New Jobs
Each store plans to employ approximately 300 associates. Approximately 170 positions were created by the expansions of the two stores.
“Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” said Nottingham store manager Terry Raynor. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Rosedale and Nottingham Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, include energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. LED lighting in the stores operate 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new stores also operate a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Community Organization Benefits from Grand-Opening Grant
The stores are continuing their support of the community through grants from the Walmart Foundation. On behalf of the Rosedale store, a $5,000 grant will be presented to the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Rosedale and Nottingham Walmarts
Store facts - Rosedale
- Location: 6420 Petrie Way, Rosedale, Md.
- 156,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 14,087 square feet
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 13, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Scott Bonsall
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Store facts - Nottingham
- Location: 8118 Perry Hills Court, Nottingham, Md.
- 149,500-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 24,950 square feet
- Store opens at 9 a.m., Wednesday, June 13, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Terry Raynor
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a McDonald’s restaurant and a Da-Vi Nails
- Stores plan to employ approximately 300 associates, including 170 new positions created by the expansions
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Maryland is approximately $11.83 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken January 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.