Expanded store adds full line of groceries and 85 new jobs
GLEN BURNIE, Md., April 23, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in Glen Burnie eager to see their Walmart at 6721 Chesapeake Center Drive bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 85 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 8 a.m., Friday, May 4 after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Eric Quist. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Glen Burnie Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Quist. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
Expanded Walmart Adds 85 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including approximately 85 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Quist said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Glen Burnie Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $2,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The Collaborative Outreach Group will receive $1,000 to support programs that serve the community. Happy Helpers for the Homeless and JHB Hope Foundation will each receive $500.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Glen Burnie Walmart
- Location: 6721 Chesapeake Center Drive, Glen Burnie, Md.
- 227,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 80,000 square feet
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Friday, May 4, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Eric Quist
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Slice of Italy and a SmartStyle Family Hair Care salon
$2,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Collaborative Outreach Group
- Happy Helpers for the Homeless
- JHB Hope Foundation
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new positions created by the expansion
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Maryland is approximately $11.83 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken January 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.