Store features new layout with bright, open interior design
COVINGTON, Ga., March 1, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Covington, bringing 300 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 4200 Salem Road, will be open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, March 14 following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon cutting ceremony.
“We are excited about the opening of a second Walmart in our area,” said Hunter Hall, president of the Covington-Newton County Chamber of Commerce. “The new store will meet the needs of our residents on the western side of the county. We look forward to continuing our great relationship with Walmart.”
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
The new Covington Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to store manager Ron Tillman. He began his Walmart career in 2004 at the Walmart store in Snellville.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Covington Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Tillman. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., March 14
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 14 for a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 4200 Salem Road, Covington, Ga.
- 176,305-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens Wednesday, March 14, following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Ron Tillman
- Open 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, health and beauty aids, and an electronics department
- Convenience services include a digital photo processing center and a Walmart MoneyCenter
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Georgia is approximately $12.50 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken January 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.