New Walmart provides 300 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
OVIEDO, Fla., March 1, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Oviedo, bringing 300 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 5511 Deep Lake Road, will be open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, March 14.
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
The new Oviedo Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to store manager William Goodroe. Goodroe began his Walmart career in 1984 as a maintenance associate at a store in Jackson, Ill. Several associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years and come from nearby stores.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Oviedo Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Goodroe. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk and Site-to-Store pick-up location in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented throughout the year.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Oviedo Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program that includes organic composting and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., March 14
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 14, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Goodroe and other associates will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 5511 Deep Lake Road, Oviedo, Fla.
- 100,018 square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, March 14, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: William Goodroe
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, health and beauty aids, and a electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Site-to-Store pickup
- Grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented throughout the year to area organizations.
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Florida is approximately $12.38 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken October 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.