Store features new layout with bright, open interior design
FAIRFAX, Va., Oct. 10, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this week in Fairfax, bringing 275 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 11181 Lee Highway, will be open to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12.
Economic Impact Includes 275 New Jobs
The new Fairfax Walmart will employ approximately 275 associates, according to store manager Kevin Nechay. He began his Walmart career in 1998 as an hourly associate at the Walmart store in Dover, Del.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Fairfax Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Nechay. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Oct. 12
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12 for a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Chantilly Air Force ROTC will present the colors and Walmart associate, Alan Rock will lead the invocation. Travis Pannell will perform the national anthem.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 11181 Lee Highway, Fairfax, Va.
- 90,896-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens Wednesday, Oct. 12, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Kevin Nechay
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a digital photo processing center and a Walmart MoneyCenter
- Store plans to employ approximately 275 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Virginia is approximately $11.84 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.