Relocated Store Provides New Jobs, More Savings and Convenience for Shoppers
NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I., Sept. 1, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this month in North Smithfield, bringing new jobs, plus savings and convenience for local shoppers. The new Walmart, located at 7 Dowling Village, will be open to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
North Smithfield Town Administrator Paulette Hamilton welcomes the new store to the community, “The addition of the state-of-the-art Walmart, as part of the continued expansion of the Dowling Village location, will have a positive impact on our local community, with the creation and retention of jobs, as well as offering more products and services. We look forward to a long community partnership with Walmart and wish them great success.”
The new store will employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new jobs created as a result of the relocation. Thirty of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, including three associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in Woonsocket in 1994.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the North Smithfield Walmart.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Dan Busha. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 14
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14 for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The North Smithfield Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
North Smithfield Walmart
- Location: 7 Dowling Village, North Smithfield, R.I.
- Formerly located at 1919 Diamond Hill Road, Woonsocket, R.I.
- 155,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining 30,000 additional square feet
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Dan Busha
- Open 24 hours
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, Walmart Connect Center and Walmart MoneyCenter
- Leased spaces include Dunkin’ Donuts, Admiral’s Bank and Smart Style Hair Salon
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 new positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Rhode Island is approximately $12.35 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.