New layout features expanded selections in electronics and fresh produce
CARTHAGE, Texas, Sept. 1, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this month in Carthage, bringing 85 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. The Walmart, located at 4609 W. Loop 436, will be open to customers Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a 7:30 a.m. grand-opening ceremony.
“Walmart has continued their investment in Carthage by completing a major relocation and renovation of their store. Since Walmart opened their initial store here in 1983, they have shown a high regard for the community through programs that support our local charities that respond to our needs,” said City Manager Brenda Samford. “We appreciate their partnership with the City of Carthage,” she continued.
Economic Impact Includes 85 New Jobs
The new Carthage Walmart will employ approximately 270 associates, including 85 new jobs created by the relocation, according to store manager Robert Tomboli.
“It’s always a positive when jobs are available in our area,” said Tomboli. “Our local economy is steady, but helping people find work is a big thing.”
Tomboli began his Walmart career 18 years ago as an off-duty police officer at a store in Jacksonville, Ark. Prior to being named manager of the Carthage Walmart in 2007, Tomboli was a co-manager for the Walmart store in Marshall, Texas.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Carthage Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Tomboli. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Carthage Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s approximately 200 skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement flooring throughout the store reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and no-touch faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 14
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14 for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony by associate Sandy Ramski and members of the Panola Chamber of Commerce. Store associate Patsy Rocquemore will perform the national anthem, while members of Boy Scout Troops 216, 268 and 244 presents the colors and Herman Anderson offers an invocation. During the ceremony, store associates will present a total of $4,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 4609 W. Loop 436, Carthage, Texas
- Former location: 423 W. Loop 436
- 90,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 46,000 square feet
- Store opens Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Robert Tomboli
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center, Walmart Connect Center, Walmart MoneyCenter and a vision center
- Leased areas include a First National Bank branch and a SmartStyle Family Hair Salon
- Store plans to employ approximately 270 associates, including 85 new jobs created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Texas is approximately $12.03 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.