Newly relocated Walmart provides 170 new jobs
ROANOKE, Va., Jan. 12, 2011 – A new Walmart Supercenter opens this month in Roanoke, bringing approximately 170 planned new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart Supercenter, located at 5350 Clearbrook Village Lane, will be open to customers by 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 26.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Clearbrook Walmart.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Aaron Robins. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Approximately 170 new jobs were created as a result of the relocation. More than 50 of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, including 10 associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in 1989.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Clearbrook Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 8 a.m., Jan. 26
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 26 for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Local schools will be performing the national anthem and presenting the colors. Long-time associates will be on hand to cut the ribbon.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,600 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.0 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2010 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/Walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 5350 Clearbrook Village Lane, Roanoke, Va.
- Formerly located at 4210 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, Va.
- 200,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining 80,990 additional square feet
- Store opens by 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 26, following an 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Aaron Robins
- Open 24 hours per day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Store plans to employ approximately 350 associates, including 170 new positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Virginia is approximately $11.70 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken January 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.