From Holiday Sugar Cookies to Fantasy Fudge and Old Fashioned Gingerbread,
Families Can Give Homemade Presents For Less
BENTONVILLE, Ark., (Dec. 1, 2010) – Walmart announced today that it is offering every day low prices and select savings on many of the food ingredients necessary to create personalized homemade baked gifts for less than $5. The retailer is helping families stretch their holiday budgets, as many shoppers plan to give tokens of appreciation to extended family, friends and co-workers this holiday season.1
A recent survey of a panel of Walmart Moms2 shows that six out of ten moms are considering or planning to give a homemade gift this holiday season, including homemade baked treats. Creative customers can find almost everything they need, from ingredients to bake ware, to make the perfect homemade present by shopping at Walmart’s in-store Baking Centers, in most stores nationwide.
Sweet Treats for Under $53
Walmart offers recipe ideas from old fashioned gingerbread to butter toffee bars. These recipes, baking tips and more can be found at the retailer’s YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/walmart, and Walmart.com.
- Sugar Cookies – recipe makes 36 cookies – 3 separate gifts
- Fantasy Fudge – recipes makes 80 pieces – 3 separate gifts
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread – recipe makes 12 pieces – 3 separate gifts
- Snickerdoodles – recipe makes 60 pieces – 2 separate gifts
- Butter Toffee Bars – recipe makes 48 bars – 4 separate gifts
- Jolly Snowmen Faces – recipe makes 24 cookies – 2 separate gifts
- Chocolate Holiday Bears – recipe makes 16 cookies – 2 separate gifts
Families getting their bake on can also check out “Walmart My Holiday,” a special holiday iPhone app designed to help customers find the best gifts at the best values. In the coming weeks, “Walmart My Holiday” will also feature holiday baking tips and recipes.
Quality Ingredients for Holiday Baking4
Ensuring customers have all the top ingredients to bake their favorite holiday treats, Walmart’s Baking Centers offer cookie mixes, chocolates, spices and more, including:
- 12 oz. Nestle® Toll House® Morsels
- 17.5 oz. Betty Crocker® Cookie Mix
- 10.5 oz. Jet-Puffed MINI Marshmallows
- Keebler® Ready Crust® Graham Pie Shell
- 14 oz. Reddi-wip Original Whipped Cream
- 48 oz. Crisco Vegetable Oil
- 16 oz. Fisher Pecan Halves
- 9.7 oz. Splenda Granular Sweetener
- 2.37 oz. McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1 oz. McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1.1 oz. Ground Ginger
- 7 oz. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Crème
Baking Tools for Less5
In addition to all the ingredients needed for sweet and sugary gifts, Walmart’s Baking Centers offer baking tools such as mixers, cupcake makers and seasonal bake ware while supplies last.
- Mainstays™ Nonstick Bake ware – $3.87
- Ceramic Bake ware Gift Set – $9
- Wilton® Seasonal Bake ware – $9
- Baby Cakes™ Cupcake Maker – $24
- Oster® 12-Speed Stand Mixer – $79
1 National Retail Federation, Economy Still Impacting Shoppers, but Glimmers of Hope Appear in First NRF Holiday Survey, October 2010.
2 According to Walmart Customer Insights, November 2010.
3 Prices based on recipes found on Walmart.com if ingredients are purchased at Walmart.
4 Prices and availability may vary in Alaska, Hawaii, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
5 Walmart also always matches the price of any local competitor’s printed ad for an identical product right at the cash register. Prices and availability may vary in Alaska, Hawaii, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
ATTENTION TELEVISION AND WEB MEDIA
Walmart b-roll supplementing this release is available for local television and web use. Interested media can access the clip one of the following ways:
Satellite Feed: Stations can access the footage via satellite feed from 12:00 pm ET and/or 3:00 pm ET at the following coordinates:
Galaxy 18 (Ku) Dig
Transponder 20 –Ch A
Orbital Slot: 123 degrees WL
Bandwidth: 9 MHz
Uplink Freq: 14386.5 (V)
Downlink Freq: 12086.5 (H)
First Window: 12:00 – 12:15 pm ET (11:00 – 11:15 am CT)
Second Window: 3:00 – 3:15 pm ET (2:00 – 2:15 pm CT)
Run Time: 1:17 sec b-roll
CG: Walmart Helps Families Bake Holiday Gifts from the Heart for $5
Description: The b-roll contains images of families shopping for key baking items. Additional video content is available for families baking homemade gifts together.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,400 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2010 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
# # #