Expanded store adds 150 new jobs and diverse product line
NEPTUNE, N.J., Sept. 1, 2010 – The wait is over for residents in Neptune eager to see their Walmart at 3575 State Route 66 bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 150 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1 after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Harold Rodriguez. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Neptune Walmart, which will now be open 24 hours, also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Rodriguez. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new layout creates an open shopping environment with wider aisles that contain no product displays. Lower shelving throughout the store creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Expanded Walmart Adds 150 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 500 associates, including approximately 150 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Rodriguez said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Neptune store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting throughout the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. New energy-efficient HVAC units ensure the store is optimally heated and cooled.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $1,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The grant recipients include Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, Ocean Township Food Pantry, Neptune EMT Program and the NEAR Program.
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have committed $2 billion to U.S. hunger relief efforts through 2015. The Fighting Hunger Together campaign will also engage Walmart customers and associates in the fight against hunger. More information can be found at walmart.com/fightinghunger.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,400 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2009 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 3575 State Route 66, Neptune, N.J.
- 209,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining more than 60,000 square feet
- Store opens at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Harold Rodriguez
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and a full liquor department
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a salon and a Subway restaurant
$1,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties
- Ocean Township Food Pantry
- Neptune EMT Program
- NEAR Program
- Store plans to employ approximately 500 associates, including approximately 150 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in New Jersey is approximately $12.00 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken July 2010. See www.walmartstores.com for details.
# # #